Headliner Install

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have slowly been resto modding the interior of my 70 swinger 2dr hardtop and have gotten to the headliner. The windshield is already out because it needs replaced. I have the headliner kit and the insulation.

I called around and one guy quoted me $340 plus the cost of having the rear window removed and re installed. (not sure on that cost yet)

He said it was essential for the back window to be removed because the headliner gets wrapped around the pinch weld and the window gasket covers it. I said I have heard that it can be done without the rear window removed and he said that was a "used car trick" meaning that it will look fine and hold up, but the question is for how long.

I know quite a few members have had them installed by pros and some themselves. I have read that it can be done without removing the rear window, just wonder if this guy doesn't want to do it unless it is out, because its "easier"

Sorry for the lengthy post, just looking for your thoughts.

To my knowledge the windows have to be out so the headliner material under the seal. I suppose that it can be done by cutting the material and then tucking it into the seal, but the chance that it will blow out of the seal is greater.

To my knowledge the windows have to be out so the headliner material under the seal. I suppose that it can be done by cutting the material and then tucking it into the seal, but the chance that it will blow out of the seal is greater.

That was basically what the guy was saying. I want it done right, I just wasn't anticipating the extra expense. I'm wondering if anyone has had it installed with the rear window in and how the results were.

Mine was professionally installed three years ago with the glass intact for $250. The guy wasn't happy when I came to pick it up, but it hasn't come loose yet. He was an old retired guy and did a good job.

Mine was professionally installed three years ago with the glass intact for $250. The guy wasn't happy when I came to pick it up, but it hasn't come loose yet. He was an old retired guy and did a good job.

I think I am going to call around and see what the consensus is. I guess I can remove the glass myself to save some expense. I'll just have to source the new gasket and the reinstall.

I did mine with the rear glass in, front glass out. It is apparent too. I wish I had removed the rear glass, but oh well. It is way easier to get all the wrinkles pulled out through the open cavity.

I've done it both ways and out is a lot easier. In is a pita but if you take your time it will work just fine . I used plastic putty knives and pieces of yard stick to push material inside rubber seal past the grabbing teeth. There is actually a video on installing a headliner in a Dart.

The amount of time the job will remain looking good and the installer will suffer by
not removing the glass. It would be unprofessional of him to do the job without
removing the rear glass. Makes the job much more difficult and takes more time to
do the job not as well.
The rear glass is the easiest piece of glass to remove and reinstall that your car has.
You don't usually need to buy a new rubber gasket if you don't mind taking the time
to clean the old one.
Once you get the chrome mouldings off you can push the glass out with your feet.
Push on a top corner to get it started and work it out going across the top.

-
Back