Headman Header Gaskets

-

340dartswinger

Reaction score
I am having trouble sealing my Headman header gaskets. I have tried 3 different gasket sets and i am still getting a leak. Any suggestions?

are the headers new or used? used headers tend to have bent flanges, right at the bolt hole, if that is the case try to straighten them, i have doubled up gaskets before also , but they dont last to long that way. ..some one else here may be able to recommened a better gasket too....

I am using two per side of Fel-Pro composite header gaskets with some hi-temp RTV. 4k+ miles so far with no leaks.

I tried a bunch of different gaskets including the solid copper ones but always had a leak between the ceneter two tubes. The Fel-Pro's a relatively thick with a metal reinforcing core.

Don't know what gaskets are best, but I try to do on all my header bolt's, is to use the biggest diameter "hardend" washer you can get on each bolt and tighten the good. The ole saying "not with out a washer". Washers spread the load out, just like on valve covers. Try that.
Dave C.

Just a thought. Here's what I've done for years, with good results. And I presently running Heddman W2 gasgets.

1. I'v always cut the flanges between the front, centre and rear ports to just 1/16" left to allow flex.
2. And this is a must for me. I use studs almost entirely, instead of those small-headed cap screws that all manufacturers give. Studs, with never-sieze, will always give a higher torque value than the screws. Yes. They are a pain, but it minimizes the leakes for me.

With my early hookers I have to run the small port gaskets as the others are just a little to wide and don't seal. I don't know if the later hookers go with the wider set. The early Hookers are setup for the smallport 273.

-
Back