Heat riser bushing gone.

-

VIOLENT\6

12 second N/A Slant 6?
Reaction score
The bushing for the heat riser shaft is missing @ the back of the 225 ehaust manifold causing a bad exhaust leak.

Since this is a very low milage engine, (37,000 miles) the exhaust manifold is in otherwise excellent shape. The bolts that connect the intake to the exhaust manifold are even in great shape & a bit of soaking W/Kroil has them broke free, even the 1 that goes through the center.

I could not find any manifolds locally that were in nearly as good shape so far. I want to try to replace the bushing. I have a manifold I got off of an old Hobart welder. (they used those little engines on everthging didn't they) The manifold is in poor condition but the heat riser is in good shape including the bushing. I plan to disect that heat riser to do a feasability study.

Has anyone replaced one of those bushings? Are there replacements available or will I have to make 1?

busted knuckles said:
Do you have a picture of this bushing? I am not sure where it is .

Unfortunately, my digi cammera decided to go on the fritz a while back.

The heat riser is located directly under the carbureter in the exhaust manufold. It is a flapper on a shft. The shaft has a counterwieight & bi-metal spring on the front. The shaft comes out of the rear of the manifold, perhaps 1/2". On the donor manifold there is a small bushing. It is black, perhaps from oxidation, but it looks like it is a different type of metal & is a separate piece.

I know where you are talking about now. I dont think there was a bushing there from the factory. Is what your looking at possibly casting lines around the shaft hole? How much of a gap is there?

busted knuckles said:
I know where you are talking about now. I dont think there was a bushing there from the factory. Is what your looking at possibly casting lines around the shaft hole? How much of a gap is there?

I'm pretty sure it is a bvushing of some sort.

The maniflod on the car has about a 1/16" gap all around the shaft. it is much too even to be a wear pattern & the shaft shows signs of contact W/an even surface. The shaft is not worn either.

The old manifold off of the welder sure looks like it has a bushing made of some metal that has not corroded the same as the manifold itself. It is protruding about 1/4' out of the manifold.

We are going to disect the welder manifold this week-end, other than the heat riser hardware, the casting is in bad shape.

Back when I was tinkering with the 2bbl (Super Six) set-up ,I had the same problem.Ended up taking the heat riser out and tapping/bolting the holes shut.The car would just take a couple minutes longer to warm up.Alot of people remove the heat riser.

Here is a company wherte you can buy a new replacement exh manifold.

www.1aauto.com

$110.00

Johnny Dart said:
Back when I was tinkering with the 2bbl (Super Six) set-up ,I had the same problem.Ended up taking the heat riser out and tapping/bolting the holes shut.The car would just take a couple minutes longer to warm up.Alot of people remove the heat riser.

Here is a company wherte you can buy a new replacement exh manifold.

www.1aauto.com

$110.00

Thanks.

The manifold is in very good condition. Except for the missing bushing it is like new.

I think a little patiance & canibalizing the parts from the welder manifold will will make good as new.

-
Back