Heat riser

-

plymouth71

The Moomobile
Reaction score
Could anybody tell me the purpose/function of the heat riser on a slant 6?The one I have is froze up and does not operate and I was thinking about removing it.Noticed when I was running 50-60 mph and let off the gas I could smell an "old gas" smell and I was told that the heat riser butterfly may be stuck in the closed position.Any help would be appreciated.

The heat riser's job cold,, was to direct hot exhaust gas up to the carb base,, to help prevent a conditions called "carb icing", where the throat of the carb would get covered in ice (snow) to the point it would plug the idle circuits.. causing stalling , (usually at the second and third stop, after a cold morning start)... this would persist until there was enuff heat around the carb to melt the snow..(this happened in hi humidity mornings)

When hot, a thermal spring or vacuum pod would open the valve to direct exhaust straight out the pipe..

Removing it will worsen your driveability and fuel economy. Many people misunderstand the purpose and function of the manifold heat valve. Read this thread to get educated.

Most likely, the internal plate is corroded away, so unlikely it is restricting the exhaust. Mine was stuck solid decades ago, so removed it and plugged the shaft holes w/ stainless bolts & nuts. I did this when the manifold was off. I sure wouldn't remove the manifolds just for this issue. Of course, try solvent first. If you can't get the correct solvent from a dealer, maybe try wood stove glass cleaner. It dissolves soot, which is probably the same problem. You can find at Ace. I lived mostly in the SE with my slant, but did have it 2 winters up North. I don't recall any problems starting or driving in the cold, and I think the riser was stuck then.

WOW,I didnt think there was a whole lot to the heat riser but now after reading all of the replies I think I will try to free it up,Thanks to everybody on the valuable imfo and advice.

-
Back