heater cable

-

Patrick

Reaction score
Been driving the 65 valiant a bit lately and i'm not getting much heat. I had replaced the heater core recently so it's most likely not that (installed new heater hoses too). When i looked at the top of the heater box i noticed that the heater control cable wasn't attached to anything. No wonder i'm not getting any heat! But the problem is I can't for the life of me see where it attaches! The cable that controls the def/floor flap is hooked up but where does the heat control wire go?

I would look on the very top of the heater box. It may be hidden by the glove box. That is how it is on a b body.

Good luck

On 2nd gen A that door lever looks like its cnered between the heater core tubes.
That is a very long cable so it can make a loop toward the steering colimn support and back right again along the firewall without kinking. !st gen A may be completely different though.

Here's a pic of the heater box. I'm sure i don't have the cables hooked up properly. As you can see in the pic, there's a cable clamp on the right hand side of the pic that isn't being used and i have no idea what pivot it goes to. The heat control cable is the one that the runs towards the back/right side and isn't hooked up to anything.

I never would have thought i'd have so much trouble figuring this one out!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20120202100135990.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 167
There should be an arm off to the right of your picture where the cable attaches. The shaft for the arm comes up through the crack where the two halves of the housing come together. It should be about 2" or so right of the bracket. The arm, shaft and flap are all one piece so maybe someone had the housing apart and forgot to reinstall it? I can get you a photo if you need one.

cuda,
I'll take another look tonight! thanks for the input... I took the assembly apart a while ago to replace the heater core and replace/create gaskets but i'm 99% sure i wouldn't have missed that one! If you have a picture that would be great though - maybe i've never had a complete heater box?
Not sure it makes a difference or not, but my car used to have a dealer installed A/C system. Believe that those below dash A/C systems were stand alone so i don't believe that it would have mucked with the heater box...

Here's a pic of the heater box. I'm sure i don't have the cables hooked up properly. As you can see in the pic, there's a cable clamp on the right hand side of the pic that isn't being used and i have no idea what pivot it goes to. The heat control cable is the one that the runs towards the back/right side and isn't hooked up to anything.

I never would have thought i'd have so much trouble figuring this one out!

Thanks for the suggestions!
.....................................................................................................
Here's one I took out of a '66 model.

Attachments

• 100_0895.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 169
Yes - looks like i'm missing the flap/door for the temperature cable! Without it i'm probably getting mostly cold air from the vent tube... Makes sense now. Until i find the flap or get a replacement box i guess i can just block off that passage so i'll be in the full hot mode. Thanks everyone!

If you can't find one, let me know. I may have a broken housing that I can pull a flap out of.

-
Back