Heater Core

-

Paul King

MrPJK
Reaction score
Hi ,My heater core started leaking tonight,it is a 1966 Dodge Dart with A/C ,has anyone changed one.Any advice would be great.Thanks

I rebuilt my whole air box last winter in my 71 Swinger. Wasn't toooo horrible but I would recommend buying a rebuild kit from Detroit Muscle. It was very complete and when you have the air box out it would be a good time to replace the wiper pivot seals if they have any sort of age on them.

I rebuilt my whole air box last winter in my 71 Swinger. Wasn't toooo horrible but I would recommend buying a rebuild kit from Detroit Muscle. It was very complete and when you have the air box out it would be a good time to replace the wiper pivot seals if they have any sort of age on them.
Did your car have A/C and what all did you have to remove

Did your car have A/C and what all did you have to remove
Factory AC car but the AC is long gone. So if you still have AC hooked up you’ll have to remove the refrigerant and unhook the lines going to the air box through the fire wall.

So remove evap lines, remove heater core lines, remove the nuts on the firewall inside the engine bay, loosen the j bolts that hold the box to the cowl (inside the fresh air box....there are other odds and ends but that’s the main things.

There are free service manuals online and while I didn’t follow it myself it wouldn’t hurt to have it up if you get stuck.

Thinking about it some more you MIGHT be able to unbolt the evap box from the heater side of the air box. Now that I think about it I think that’s how I removed my air box. It made it easier to get everything out.

Factory AC car but the AC is long gone. So if you still have AC hooked up you’ll have to remove the refrigerant and unhook the lines going to the air box through the fire wall.

So remove evap lines, remove heater core lines, remove the nuts on the firewall inside the engine bay, loosen the j bolts that hold the box to the cowl (inside the fresh air box....there are other odds and ends but that’s the main things.

There are free service manuals online and while I didn’t follow it myself it wouldn’t hurt to have it up if you get stuck.

Thinking about it some more you MIGHT be able to unbolt the evap box from the heater side of the air box. Now that I think about it I think that’s how I removed my air box. It made it easier to get everything out.
Thanks

Get yours repaired, had three come here for a 64 non ac and only one that fit right was the original. Either to big or the in and out did not line up. Anyone?

I got my '64 Dart heater core from Performance Radiator https://www.performanceradiator.com/locations.php Great fit, bolted right in.

And I second Detroit Muscle for the hearer box rebuild kit. The kit covers many model years, so I gave away the unused portion on the forum. TAKE LOTS OF PICS FROM LOTS OF ANGLES WHEN TAKING APART!! You can't take too many pictures. Really!

Good Luck!

It's good to remove the front seat also. You need all the room you can get!! Oh, and remove the glovebox to gain access to the cables and electrical plug. The air boxes have a J-hook. You can see the nut when you open the vent door.

Here's a couple of pics from when I did mine (factory a/c but not connected). See how many leaves were in the box!!!

I also bought a gasket kit from DMT. It's the best out there. Be careful prying off the clips that hold the two halves together. Just take your time and like others said, take lots of pictures.

IMG_20200201_144526.jpg

IMG_20200201_145253.jpg

IMG_20200201_150038.jpg

IMG_20200209_173029.jpg

It's good to remove the front seat also. You need all the room you can get!! Oh, and remove the glovebox to gain access to the cables and electrical plug. The air boxes have a J-hook. You can see the nut when you open the vent door.

Here's a couple of pics from when I did mine (factory a/c but not connected). See how many leaves were in the box!!!

I also bought a gasket kit from DMT. It's the best out there. Be careful prying off the clips that hold the two halves together. Just take your time and like others said, take lots of pictures.

View attachment 1715598166
View attachment 1715598167
View attachment 1715598168
View attachment 1715598173
Thanks 66 ,great picks,My A/C is all hooked up ,wondering how difficult it,s going to be to change

I don’t know about 66 but the 67-71 are separate boxes for the ac and heater sections and I think the heater portion can be removed separately.

I don’t know about 66 but the 67-71 are separate boxes for the ac and heater sections and I think the heater portion can be removed separately.

I think the 66 is separate also. The heater box is directly under the glovebox whereas the a/c is in the center.

Drain the radiator, pull the heater hoses, then pull the glovebox and disconnect the cables (take pics) and electric plug. Then pull the fresh air vent. Can't remember from there lol. Seems like there's a stud between the heater hoses on the firewall and a nut under the dash near the heater hoses that needs to come off. Maybe two other nuts on the firewall that need to come off. I only done it the one time this past June(?)

Oh, and I paid like $52 bucks for a new core and had to bend the inlet and outlet tubes slightly to get them to fit. I should have rebuilt the original.

Hi,

If the A/C is charged with refrigerant you'll have to have that recovered before disconnecting the A/C lines. When you do disconnect the lines plug or cap both the open hose ends and evaporator side of things to prevent dirt from entering. This is really important as it doesn't take much to mess up the expansion valve. Also, if the A/C system has been empty and you want to convert from R-12 to R-134A this would be a great opportunity to flush the evaporator core.

Get yours repaired, had three come here for a 64 non ac and only one that fit right was the original. Either to big or the in and out did not line up. Anyone?

If not in too big a hurry send it to Bob at GlenRay Radiator. It will be better than new and you know it will fit!

Hi 66,i bought the rebuild kit from DMT and have my box back together,i need a bit of advice and Jim is so busy dont want to bother him.There are 2 cowl seals .i have the top one on ,but the other is to large,does it go to the other opening were the blower goes and does it need trimmed to fit or does it even need one at the fire wall .Thanks

Last edited:
I think...my memory isn't the best....that I used it for the driver's side fresh air box to cowl. Seems like I may have needed to cut it and make it smaller so it would fit.

Let me think in it!!!

I think...my memory isn't the best....that I used it for the driver's side fresh air box to cowl. Seems like I may have needed to cut it and make it smaller so it would fit.

Let me think in it!!!
66 Do you remember if the same gasket is used for the cowl and the fire wall .Thanks

I have the heater out of my '64 Dart. If they are the same parts, I could post some pics,

They would be great ,thanks.im getting older also ,cant remember if there was a gasket at the fire wall or not .LOL
Mine had a foam gasket for each fresh air - to air cowl opening.
IMG_6323.JPG

IMG_6389.JPG

And then one foam ring that fit inside the firewall mounting plate in the engine compartment.
IMG_6391.JPG

I took picks of my heater box before taking it apart too because I was scared I'd never get it back together again. I'm happy to post whatever I can to help you get back together.

^Thank you so much great help .
My Pleasure. There is also a flat rubber gasket that goes between the engine side of the firewall and the metal plate the foam rubber doughnut fits into. And the sleeves go over the firewall studs on the passenger side (I think). You can zoom in on my pre-engine overhaul pic to see the plate and nuts holding it all together.

Good luck!
IMG_5142.jpg

When i took out the heater box i left the blower motor on the firewall ,thats were i am confused if there was a gasket between the blower motor and the heater box ,should have taken pics .

-
Back