Height of 340 Pressure Plate

-

Franko

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had terrible clutch chatter on the 69 Dart 340 that I bought last winter. The transmission mount had a rip in it. There didn't seem to be a problem with the flywheel (which I had turned about .006), clutch or pressure plate. Turns out that the fork is a big block fork that measured 11" long instead of the correct 12 1/2".

I was going to get a Mcleod clutch and pressure plate but they are back ordered at the company. I heard good things about South Bend Clutch at a car show and I live a couple hours away.

So I went there and they rebuilt my 10 1/2" clutch with the ceramic on one side and kevlar on the other. They gave me a LUK pressure plate.

I measured the Luk PP sitting on the bench to the top of the diaphram and it measures 3/8" less in height than the old 3 finger PP (2 1/2" vs 2 11/16"). The new TO bearing is the same height.

Does anybody know if this differential is anything to be concerned about...It makes me wonder after all that wrong fork/geometry business which seems to be the cause of the chatter. And this was so bad I thought something might break so I immediately parked it and tore it apart.

Thanks

-
Back