Hello from Alberta!

-

KDS

Reaction score
Hello! I have had my 66 Valiant Signet for 17 years but just found this website. I am currently looking for whitewall tires in Alberta (or anywhere with reasonable shipping costs) and am curious if anyone else has issues with their starter relay? Yesterday all I got was clicking when I turned the key, even though the radio and power top still work fine. It was replaced a few years ago so I’m shocked I need another new one so soon? This wasn’t an issue for at least the first decade I’ve had it. Could it be cheap new parts or signs of a bigger issue?

Welcome from TEXAS!!! Yes, the parts nowadays are pretty much junk. Keep your receipts and return them, eventually you'll get a good one.

Thanks! The only thing worse than something NOT working is it working intermittently. It just started perfectly twice in a row. I’ll definitely keep my receipt this time.

Another welcome from Calgary! The first time I went to the Stampede Drive-In on a hot summer night was in Signet convertible!! Cool car from your avatar picture but forum rules say we have a thing around here for more pictures :).

I seem to remember a vendor at the Red Deer Swap Meet selling old style tires but I've never looked very close so it may have been just the really old stuff.

On your starter relay I think you need to do some more troubleshooting, I've never had one go bad but that's me. Search the forum for "starter clicking" or "starter clicks" to get some ideas but essentially check all the connections and voltage in the starting circuit. If it clicks again try a good size screwdriver between the big and little posts on the relay and then on the starter to see if turns, it can be kind sparky if you hesitate, so don't hesitate. This heat wave certainly doesn't help but it sounds to me like the starter may be wearing out or sticky, I would also try tapping on the starter and solenoid with a hammer or tire iron, sometimes that will free it up enough to get it turn over but then you know it's in the starter. If you can pull it out a parts store can test it for you...

Good luck!

Another welcome from Calgary! The first time I went to the Stampede Drive-In on a hot summer night was in Signet convertible!! Cool car from your avatar picture but forum rules say we have a thing around here for more pictures :).

I seem to remember a vendor at the Red Deer Swap Meet selling old style tires but I've never looked very close so it may have been just the really old stuff.

On your starter relay I think you need to do some more troubleshooting, I've never had one go bad but that's me. Search the forum for "starter clicking" or "starter clicks" to get some ideas but essentially check all the connections and voltage in the starting circuit. If it clicks again try a good size screwdriver between the big and little posts on the relay and then on the starter to see if turns, it can be kind sparky if you hesitate, so don't hesitate. This heat wave certainly doesn't help but it sounds to me like the starter may be wearing out or sticky, I would also try tapping on the starter and solenoid with a hammer or tire iron, sometimes that will free it up enough to get it turn over but then you know it's in the starter. If you can pull it out a parts store can test it for you...

Good luck!

Thanks for this. These are great tips. My old mechanic is in Edmonton and I live in Calgary now, too. It started twice in a row perfectly fine the next day, so it’s more frustrating than anything. It’s too hot for it right now anyways but I’ve got some parts arriving next week. I’ll do some troubleshooting in the meantime.

Hello from Morinville, Alberta.

1) Most dedicated tire shops will have access to whitewall tires, expect them to be special order and expensive with outrageous shipping costs.

2) I've seen a lot of premature failures in recent years with new stock parts for older cars like voltage regulators, ignition modules (mainly HEI) and starter relays.

Welcome from Martensville Sk.
I have the best luck with stuff like new starter relays when I buy the NAPA house brand stuff. Good luck finding a good one!

Cley

Check your battery cables , cable connections, and the connection from the starter case to the aluminum BH, and back to the battery; the clicking means that the relay is working on the signal side.
The quickest way to prove the starter is Ok, is to jumper across from the power-stud to the starter signal wire, (brown IIRC).
If it cranks, then the problem is between the starter and the ignition switch, which puts the relay right in the thick of it.
IMO the factory relay is pretty robust; mine was already ancient when I bolted it on in 1999. I think it might be an original 1968 model. The newest it can be is a 1975..

-
Back