HELP!! can it be saved ??

-

pat d

Reaction score
I need some advise. pulled my motor apart today because a sparkplug broke ,i lost pressure in cylinder #5&#7 like 0.pulled the head and found a groove[ burn] between the cylinders about a 1/4 wide and 1/16 deep on the block and head can this be fixed or is it junk? and what caused this? pistons look fine not melted

I would take the block and the heads to my local machinist, to see what he says about it. They probably deck the block and surface the heads to eliminate the groove. Don't forget to make sure they check the angle on your intake, depending upon how much material is removed. Just a suggestion.

Yup. "I" would not trust it without sleeving the two adjacent cylinders and having the gouge welded up. I've seen people try it and fail without sleeves.

they put screws into the block and head.

What happens is..when u blow the head gasket between cylinders...u take out the fire ring, then the combustion/fire passes across and just super heats the deck surfaces and causes spider cracks and or burnt off iron.

they use 3/8 or so screws that they will drill and tap one at a time and basically overlap them/drill & tap into each other so that they dont ever come out....then they mill'em smooth with the deck.

One of my fully ported j heads had this issue, i found out after i had ported it....so thats how i fixed it, it's on a 410 10.1 comp motor and there r no issues with it...and wont ever be.

That's called stiching as I recall Justin. I've also used it and it works better than welding because you don't have to re-machine everything or heat it. It's just some special threaded "plugs" and a lot of driling and tapping. It helps if you have a drill press or head fixture but you could do it with any drill if you're careful.

Unless its a super rare block, the time spent to fix it is not worth the trouble. Plus you still have a compromised block, no matter what the fix.

thanks for the info. cost is my big factor its a 340 block and j heads , the heads have alot of work on them port/polish valves ect.I would like to stick with the 340,can the internals be used on anything else?

-
Back