HELP figuring cam lift ( maybe actual purple shaft p/n?

-

4fortyDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got an engine awhile ago that had this solid lifter cam in it. Guy I bought it from didn't know what size cam it was being that he didn't build it. After measuring the base circle and top of lobe, and subtracting base from lift, I come up with.383. Multiply by 1.5 rockers I have and it's 574?? Anyone hear of a 3bolt SL purple shaft cam? I'm trying to figure if I'm going to use it or have it reground. Thanks in advance

Does it have any purple on it? I think a more accurate way would be to put in some V blocks and measure the lift directly.

If it’s got purple on the shaft(the more purple/the older the cam IME) and colored stripes on the end, it’s definitely a MP cam. Unfortunately you can’t find reliable information on the Color/Striping ID system Mopar used. At least I couldn’t when trying to verify a used .528 I bought(yellow and green stripe)

It's either the .557 or .590. Too much lift for a .557, so...... 312/. 590.

And my .590 cam with iron adjustable rockers and recommended lash, moved the valves less than .550".

Got an engine awhile ago that had this solid lifter cam in it. Guy I bought it from didn't know what size cam it was being that he didn't build it. After measuring the base circle and top of lobe, and subtracting base from lift, I come up with.383. Multiply by 1.5 rockers I have and it's 574?? Anyone hear of a 3bolt SL purple shaft cam? I'm trying to figure if I'm going to use it or have it reground. Thanks in advance

FYI: the cam lobe peaks have an angle taper to them so they will spin the lifters. So you want to try and measure on the high side of the peak to read maximum lift.

☆☆☆☆☆

The cam grinder assumes the rockers will transmit the correct ratio to the valve. So if the cam is sold as having 0.450" valve lift, with 1.5 rockers, the lobe lift will be 0.300" if the cam has been accurately ground.
Is the cam new or used? If used, & lobe peaks are worn, it will be hard to work out original lobe lift.

FYI: the cam lobe peaks have an angle taper to them so they will spin the lifters. So you want to try and measure on the high side of the peak to read maximum lift.

☆☆☆☆☆
When I was using the caliper on the lobe, I held it against the lobe while I slightly rotated the cam. I took the highest reading.

The cam grinder assumes the rockers will transmit the correct ratio to the valve. So if the cam is sold as having 0.450" valve lift, with 1.5 rockers, the lobe lift will be 0.300" if the cam has been accurately ground.
Is the cam new or used? If used, & lobe peaks are worn, it will be hard to work out original lobe lift.
The cam is used. I bought it in an engine and was trying to decide to use it in my 383 build. It sounds like it's a lot bigger than I want to put in the car. I may have it reground or sell it with the lifters if I can figure what exact size it is.

The cam is used. I bought it in an engine and was trying to decide to use it in my 383 build. It sounds like it's a lot bigger than I want to put in the car. I may have it reground or sell it with the lifters if I can figure what exact size it is.
Advance it about 8 degrees or so, like to 100, you'll love it.

If it has 0.380+" lobe lift, then the lobes are already going to be small & unlikely suitable for re-grinding.

What engine/car specs/usage? More info so a cam suggestion can be given.

MP offered mechanical cams for oval track. Also normally on a 108 or less. The closest I remember as far as lift is a .571 on there advertised 296 lobe. This maybe a very old grind and it’ll take ether a deep search, someone with a very old direct connection catalog or someone that has a saved copy of the old direct connection camshafts on there computer.

The amount of camshafts offered throughout the years is near staggering.

Installing the cam if not already done and using a degree wheel with a dial indicator to see when the timing events are occurring can be the best answer to what its ground to be. Which may not yet jive to anything listed since the absolute accuracy of the grinding method maybe an old one and not dead on perfect.

Not that it is today ether.

If it has 0.380+" lobe lift, then the lobes are already going to be small & unlikely suitable for re-grinding.

What engine/car specs/usage? More info so a cam suggestion can be given.
I'm building a .060 383 for my 71 Demon. Mostly a street car that I'll likely take to the track a few times. There's many variables that I haven't measured and one in particular, I won't or should say don't know how to measure. The block is decked prior to me , how much is unknown. I have KB pistons ( see picture) haven't figured compression yet, but I'm thinking close to 10 to 1 . Open chamber 906s, Edelbrock 4DB2 , Holley 750DP. 727 with shift kit, 8 3/4 with 391SG. Cam and converter and what I'm deciding. I was hoping that this might be a 557 cam,but it's definitely not looking this way.
I was wanting initially to slide a 509 in ,but I want to go solid lifter . Can't afford roller. So, here I am...lol.

Piston specs

Screenshot_20240706_075313_Chrome.jpg

-
Back