help ID carb

-

RobertN

Reaction score
I am trying to identify a carb.

It is a Carter AFB, that came from a Dart GT, 273/auto. I got this 20 some odd years ago; I do not remember if it was a '65 or a '66.

I got it to run on a '70 Jeep CJ5 with Buick V6. I was running an Offy 4bbl intake, and headers at the time. It ran really well. It seemed a bit much for off-road at the time. I took it apart to rebuild and rejet, but changed my mind and went back to a 2bbl.

This thing has been sitting disassembled in a box in a corner of the shed forever. I would like to sell it; would be great to put on a 273 restoration.

But, I do not have a tag on it. On the top it is marked 6-1771, and on the side above the patent numbers it is marked 0-1431.

A web search seems to indicate a number more like 4294 or 4295 would be correct. But I do not see those numbers.

Do the 6-1771 or 0-1431 numbers mean anything useful?

I'd like to ID it correctly before selling it.

Robert...look in this location and post what numbers you find there. We can probably tell you what it fits from there...

AFB's are great carbs. To "rejet" them, you dont have to disassemble them...just change the metering rods, which are located in the top of the carb. You won't even spill a drop of fuel, unlike Holleys.

Attachments

• AFB carb numbers (Small).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 359
Rob ,the 273 motors come with a 500 cfm carter afb carb.The number is located at the bottom left bolt hole,and there will be a four digit number and a letter or two letters,either S or SA.The numbers will start with 38,41,42,43.example:3853S,4120S and so on.I have a few of these carbs and may want yours for spare parts,mrmopartech

The number on the left front bolt boss is "C9 4200S".

The AFB ran great on the road, and was ok offroad; definitely better than the Holley I had on it. I tried a 390cfm Holley, but it was awful off-road.

It is a shame, this came off a car that looked pretty original and complete, at a pick and pull. It was definitely restorable. I had my Road Runner at the time though, so I was not interested in another car.

I did all this 20 years ago. Shouldn't have taken it apart. But, I did keep it all together.

'Course now browsing thru this site, I miss my Roadrunner...

Pics of the carb ♦

Attachments

• DSCN0791.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 375
  • DSCN0792.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCN0793.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 353
I double checked the number; it is 4200S. I cleaned the chalk up a little better after taking the picture.

A web search on "Carter AFB 4200S" showed a couple links pointing towards a '65 high-performance 383/413/426.
http://www.carburetion.com/Kits/dodge.htm
I remember the car had a 273 emblem. It sure looked to be a LA series motor, my '74 Roadrunner was a smallblock). That was why I grabbed it; figuring a carb from a 273 would not be overly large for my 225 v6.

I double checked the number; it is 4200S. I cleaned the chalk up a little better after taking the picture.

A web search on "Carter AFB 4200S" showed a couple links pointing towards a '65 high-performance 383/413/426.
http://www.carburetion.com/Kits/dodge.htm
I remember the car had a 273 emblem. It sure looked to be a LA series motor, my '74 Roadrunner was a smallblock). That was why I grabbed it; figuring a carb from a 273 would not be overly large for my 225 v6.

My best guess would be it's a 625cfm, but I'm not certain. Thats a bit big for a 225-6cyl. It's definitely an early carb judging by the cable-style kickdown lever on the throttle linkage.

The car I got it from was in the junk yard, and looked pretty original, but who knows.

It ran good on the V6; better than the Holley 390. That was 20 years ago though. Even 500cfm was big for a 225 V6 with a slightly bumpy cam. That was part of why I went back to the stock 2bbl, and partly becuase the stock carb worked best off road, at least for me(Rubicon trail, other Sierra rock trails).

This is a great website; lots of good knowledge here!

My best guess would be it's a 625cfm, but I'm not certain. Thats a bit big for a 225-6cyl. It's definitely an early carb judging by the cable-style kickdown lever on the throttle linkage.

-
Back