Help motor swap

-

elvaliant66

Reaction score
can someone help me ?i wanna know if a 66 170 slant six is compatible to a 72 904 transmission wich had a 225 slant...as far as the flywheel to the torque converter

I think that the early torque converters have a smaller diameter "nose/snout" than the later models. I'm not sure if 66 has the small or larger one....

A 1967 or older engine will not mate to a 1968 or later 904 trans, without using a special torque converter. These converters are available from several sources. Daaco for a stock type converter. I don't remember the part number, but if you call them, they will know what you are talking about. If you want a "performance" converter, almost any converter manf can build it. You also need to use the early flexplate.

PS: This info is also true for the 273 engine.

crazy and charrlie are right. i watched my dad and friend fight that thing for 2 hours once. i finally told them what the trouble was.

how about a 66 tranny? i have the 66 motor and the tranny would i be able to swap both? instead of getting a special torque converter? is a 66 tranny compatible with a 72 drive shaft?

Yes, you can bolt a 66 slant tranny to any 66 slant engine (170 or 225), if that is your question. You should explain exactly what you are trying to do, and we can help more. Certain combinations can easily be made to work. The main issue is mating the torque converter snout to the register hole in the crankshaft. In 1967, both snout and hole became larger. You can get an adapter ring to fit an early snout in a later engine (must be tight), but not vice-versa. The flexplate bolt hole circle also changed, but an easy swap and many after-market flexplates have both bolt hole circles.

Charrlie_S, thanks for correcting. Thinking more, I recall the larger bolt pattern was for a 727 transmission torque converter, which is why some flexplates have two bolt circles. Many gotchas in any swap from a factory setup.

-
Back