HELP NEEDED Identifying Brake Spindle - likely from a late 70s Volare

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
This problem has been discussed on the forum in the A Body Thread; but it seems the brake parts are now crossing generations and MOPAR types.

**But, I seem to have a disc brake spindle ID issue with my 67 Barracuda Notchback.
To say that the previous owner "cobbled" together some things on my Cuda, would be an understatement.
The 67 Cuda was likely originally drum brakes all around.
The previous owner (elderly) and his son did most all the work themselves.; and installed single piston disc calipers up front!
I got some "expert" advice at the Carlisle Nationals; but as yet has not resolved the issue with replacing the brake calipers.
**The current issue is, I have gotten rid of his fat tires and moved the wheels back into the tubs with AM Racing wheels with 3.75 inch backspacing.
AND...I went from his 15 inch wheels to 14 inch wheels. (I did this after a lot of inpout and advice.)
NOW I HAVE SOME CALIPER RUB ON THE PASSENGER SIDE!
The Caliper and mounting bracket parts numbers seem to match a 70-73 Duster.
**But, NONE of the Wilwood low profile conversion kits have caliper mounting holes that match up.

After weeks of confusion in the shop that had fixed my back drum brakes, we are now mistified on the fronts!
So, I reached out to the previuous owner's son about what they put on the front end to convert to disc brakes.
The son says..."The outer and inner tie rods were replaced with 73 duster ones as they need to be the larger ones for disc set up. Also the same for the upper and lower control arms. "And after I asked about the Brake spindles, he said....
"I think they were 73 to 76 era? The only other spindle that I know works is off the F body, Aspen/Volare."

***SO.....I am asking for help in identifying this brake spindle.

Obviously, 3 of the holes in the spindle are for mounting the dust shield.
There are no identifying part numbers on this spindle.
Because we can't identify the actual spindle, we can't even come close to finding a low-profile after market caliper replacement or conversion kit that has a mounting bracket with mounting holes to match!
Had no luck with any of the gyrations of 70-76 Duster that the mounting bracket is supposed to be; according to the mounting bracket and single piston calipers p[art numbers.
The 11 inch rotors are one-piece.
My measurement on the daimeter of the spindle shaft is 1.8 inches.
Pictures follow.

450124595.jpg

451769762.jpg

IMG_1006[1].jpg

Last edited:
Those appear to be FMJ spindles, although it's hard to tell from the little bitty pictures. They may also be 73-76 A body spindles as they're almost identical, but the castings on those appear to be the later FMJ spindles.

There's nothing "cobbled together" or "mystifying" about that swap, it's VERY common to upgrade to the later disk brakes which also gives the more popular 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

The problem is the 14" wheels, as there are some styles of the 14" wheels that do not clear the later calipers. Most 14" wheels do, but there are a few reproductions that do not.

All of of the Wilwood conversions that would fit under a 14" wheel would be less braking power than the single piston calipers you already have, Wilwood is just expensive crap to say you've got it, many of their kits are inferior in stopping power compared to the later Mopar calipers.

That aside, pretty much all the Wilwood kits are for drum spindles, the majority of which use the small ball joint UCA, which you likely do not have, unless there's a ball joint spacer in there that can't be seen in the pictures. Because those spindles are for a large ball joint. I will also add that not all the Wilwood kits will clear ALL 14" wheels, so, you might very well end up with the same issue anyway.

I'm not sure where you're getting advice, but anyone that said to go to 14" wheels probably shouldn't be listened to. You have the brake set up and bolt pattern that most people spend a lot of money to upgrade to, ditch the crappy 14" wheels and call it good.

5atcgi3l.jpg

left side: 73~76 a body
right side: FMJ

there's nothing cobbled together, mystifying, odd, or unsavory going on here. those are 73~76 A spindles.

as we discussed previously, your wheels are the issue. most 14" wheels do not clear aftermarket brake kits.

mounting the caliper forward or rearward by swapping the spindle side to side has no effect what so ever on wheel fitment, alignment, ride, etc, etc, etc.

ETA: spindles do have part numbers, they're just extremely hard to see. here's an example highlighted as best i can with a tire crayon.

mzbL1PWl.jpg

Last edited:
So, what brake calipers would fit a FMJ spindle???
We've tried the supposed single piston replacements, and they don't seem to fit correctly.
(I had ground those off to clear the wheel edges - had also already bought 14 inch tires!!!)

Anybody know anything about an "Optional Mounting Adapter"????

450124595.jpg

451769762.jpg

We've tried the supposed single piston replacements, and they don't seem to fit correctly.
(I had ground those off to clear the wheel edges - had also already bought 14 inch tires!!!)

*sighs deeply*

hold on...

(thought i was going to have to get some more parts to take pics of)

the single piston sliding caliper like you currently have fits the FMJ spindle.

the caliper bracket isn't "optional". it mounts the caliper. they only came in two sizes, one for the 10.95" (usually called 11") disc and one for the 11.75" disc. understand that both of these fit the same caliper and spindle-- only the disc changed.

you have the 11" discs, 14's wouldn't even be able to bolt up they'd foul on the whole assembly.

the devil is in the details here, and you may not be mounting something correctly, or you may think that it's off. have you referenced the FSM or are you going by anecdotal "expert" advice or u tube mechanics or something?

mopar used the SAME caliper and style of adapater/spindle across so, so, so many cars (and trucks!). we know that the system works. we also know that not all 14" wheels fit even the *stock* set up, so it's little wonder that you're having a problem with an aftermarket kit.

Last edited:

View attachment 1716280891

View attachment 1716280892

You have them already. The single piston calipers you already have are the correct caliper for both the 73-76 A body AND the FMJ spindles. Same caliper bracket, same caliper. There were some minor differences in the calipers over the years/models, but that was bore size which has no effect on the outside clearance, and the hose location, and if your hoses clear the spindles then you have the right ones.

The problem is your wheels.

Let me repeat that. The problem IS YOUR 14" WHEELS.

As far as I know, the other aftermarket brake kits out there for those spindles also have disclaimers about some 14" wheels. So, buying an aftermarket kit may not help you do anything other than spend more money. Given what aftermarket brake kits cost, and what 15" rims and tires cost, I'd buy a set of 15" wheels and tires and sell your 14's. Even losing money on that you'd be money ahead vs buying new aftermarket brakes, ESPECIALLY if they still don't clear! Which they might not.

I agree with bluNblu. Did you mount the tires on the rims yet? Maybe you can return if you put the refund toward 15" tires? If not sadly you got to sell it all and take the hit. Going from 14 to 15 was bad costly advice. Best of luck. Those brakes are done right and work well. JMO

WELL, THE BRAKE and SPINDLE SAGA FINALLY ENDED ON A POSITIVE NOTE!

The key was discovering that he previous owner had put '78ish Volare Spindles on my 67 Barracuda.
We weren't happy with grinding the edges of the single piston MOPAR calipers; and Wilwood actually had an upgrade kit for that spindle.
(Our 3rd kit try...)
The extra bonus was....that that specific kit was designed to fit a 14 inch wheel too!
(Ging from 15s to 14 inch wheels was a problem I created.)

willlwood brakes.jpg

Plenty of clearance. The braking feels about the same as with the single piston calipers..
So no great improvement there.

wilwood clearance.jpg

-
Back