help needed with 904

-
dont mix up the front clutch pac and pump between the 4 disc and 5 disc transmission cause they dont interchange...

the pump and drum are a matched pair..

No I don't want you to hook me up with that I'd like to hook up your car and get it down to the track so I can kick your *** LOL
Want me to hook you up with my doctor? He's right in PDX. He can give you mess that will help...well...they will take the edge off a bit and give your brains rest.

Let me know. I think he can work wonders for you.

And this is because I'm concerned for your mental well being. Always have your health in my thoughts.

I need help with an automatic transmission, when I need help for the four Speed I'll come a-callin..

dont mix up the front clutch pac and pump between the 4 disc and 5 disc transmission cause they dont interchange...

I mentioned to him to NOT mix parts between the two without asking first.
Appreciate your looking out for him and me both.:D

Okay so here's my latest dilemma I was able to get the first second drum together I think ok. Now I'm on the third reverse drum and it's the interseal that's giving me the hard time. I'll shoot a picture here and the inner seal that came out as the bottom right one and the one on top of it is the one I believe that matches it and the other two to the upper middle and left are the closest ones. I can tell on the big outer Seal there seem to be substantial wear on the seal either that or the new ones just bigger in exterior circumference. The outer seal with the ridge facing down fits fine without the inner seal, even though it's bigger than the old one. but the interseal was almost non-existent. It didn't protrude out much whatsoever and I can feel that this fits very tight on there on the inside. Either that or this is just the wrong seal?
20170504_182731.jpg
20170504_182740.jpg

Okay so here's my latest dilemma I was able to get the first second drum together I think ok. Now I'm on the third reverse drum and it's the interseal that's giving me the hard time. I'll shoot a picture here and the inner seal that came out as the bottom right one and the one on top of it is the one I believe that matches it and the other two to the upper middle and left are the closest ones. I can tell on the big outer Seal there seem to be substantial wear on the seal either that or the new ones just bigger in exterior circumference. The outer seal with the ridge facing down fits fine without the inner seal, even though it's bigger than the old one. but the interseal was almost non-existent. It didn't protrude out much whatsoever and I can feel that this fits very tight on there on the inside. Either that or this is just the wrong seal?

Well Jason, it's been a long time so I'm not sure of your problem there.
I do seem to remember there were two types of seal that went inside the drum?
One was a lip seal where the lip faced down, and I think there was another one that was just a square ring with no lip.
The drum with a groove that has two depths uses the lip type seal, and the other just had a single depth groove and used the square one.
And I do remember the one that was square went in tight.

Check the groove in the drum and see if that makes sense.

In the meantime I'll see if I can find a pic.

Yea, I did remember that correctly.
If it has a single depth groove it takes the square ring.
If it has a groove that is cut two different depths it takes a lip seal with the lip facing down.

Something that might help which you kind of touched on was that you can put one seal at a time on and make sure it has a friction fit so you know it will seal.
And like I said before, the single square ring fits pretty tight to where the piston resists being installed.
Lots of lube on that outer seal and bore in the drum and try to work one side and then the other of the piston with solid down pressure and it should go in.
Also like I mentioned before, you can air test it using the pump stator with the rings on the stator.

Last edited:
FYI, you can only air test it with all the clutches in it and the outer pressure plate and lock ring in place or the piston will pop out of the bore and could really hurt you.

Well I pulled the 68 tranny one out and the seals match the ones in the kit. So now I think I'm going to be into this for another kit. Well I'll have a good start for my second rebuild..

Well I pulled the 68 tranny one out and the seals match the ones in the kit. So now I think I'm going to be into this for another kit. Well I'll have a good start for my second rebuild..

So you need the square ring instead of the lip seal then?
And your drum doesn't have the stepped seal groove?

Doesn't look square, just less intrusive.
step seal groove?
Pulled 68 tranny drum apart and the seal matches.
ADHD - go back to the 68 ? LOL
LOL, whatever I do the cleaning part should be easy from here.
looked up this transmission and it came up as a 1976 360 904/999 standard.
Oh yeah and as far as the rear shaft in the planetary on it I just flushed it out with a lot of carb cleaner and poured transmission fluid at it.

So you need the square ring instead of the lip seal then?
And your drum doesn't have the stepped seal groove?

Doesn't look square, just less intrusive.
step seal groove?
Pulled 68 tranny drum apart and the seal matches.
ADHD - go back to the 68 ? LOL
LOL, whatever I do the cleaning part should be easy from here.
looked up this transmission and it came up as a 1976 360 904/999 standard.
Oh yeah and as far as the rear shaft in the planetary on it I just flushed it out with a lot of carb cleaner and poured transmission fluid at it.

Oh, kind of square but with a sharpish outer edge?
Maybe go back to the other one then since you know you have the right stuff for that one.

IF (and that's one of the biggest IF's I've ever IF'ed) I get this together and working I'll be a PRO!
I'm waiting at the mailbox each day hoping the cd 70aarcuda set will arive. I'm tired of going through TylerW's comedy act ( the frying pan calling the kettle black, THE NERVE!) to get to the little parts and a lot of stuff he didn't do.
Oh, kind of square but with a sharpish outer edge?
Maybe go back to the other one then since you know you have the right stuff for that one.

Sorry missed this earlier,
I noticed the newer 5 clutch has a taller spring (orange?)
The rebuild kit is for the 4 clutch.
I'll call portland transmission in morning and see if they have a seal only kit for the 5 clutch. The parts on the inside are simply nicer also.

IF (and that's one of the biggest IF's I've ever IF'ed) I get this together and working I'll be a PRO!
I'm waiting at the mailbox each day hoping the cd 70aarcuda set will arive. I'm tired of going through TylerW's comedy act ( the frying pan calling the kettle black, THE NERVE!) to get to the little parts and a lot of stuff he didn't do.

In the mail on Tuesday afternoon...should be there soon..

they should take the same lip seal....the rear drum is always a pain in the *** to get the piston back in...

You will have seen plenty of the insides for sure. :D

they should take the same lip seal....the rear drum is always a pain in the *** to get the piston back in...

That's what I was thinking but looking into it farther I saw the one style and then an updated one.
That one is tough though since you can't get to the outer seal with a tool because it's under the edge of the piston.
The way I remember was to move it around in small circles while pushing down on it, or freeze it first.
Here's what I found when looking for pics of the two.
I think what they call the wider one is the one with the short lip on it

dodge3rd_drum_seal.png

Last edited:
The piston came out very easy and popped in and out easy and was in pretty good condition All Things Considered. I can put the disc in without the seals easily, I can put the disc in with the outer seal which is bigger than the one that came off of it in relatively easily by itself without the inner seal, but I cannot get it on over that inner seal without the outer seal on and the fact that that seal in particular is not even reversed on its way down on. That push down on it damn near with all my strength twisting and turning with a half a jar of Vaseline.

Yes
That's what I was thinking but looking into it farther I saw the one style and then an updated one.
That one is tough though since you can't get to the outer seal with a tool because it's under the edge of the piston.
The way I remember was to move it around in small circles while pushing down on it, or freeze it first.
Here's what I found when looking for pics of the two.
I think what they call the wider one is the one with the short lip on it

View attachment 1715044516

No big deal I think it's worth the money to get the right seals for the 76 transmission the money spent will be worth it as the parts just seem to be much cleaner and less worn and also having the five clutch instead of 4. All of the machine surfaces and stuff like that seem to be in much better condition so I believe it would just be a better deal and more worth the money to spend on it and do it right. I'm not losing confidence to getting this back together actually gaining more. All been good learning experience but it's time to put this thing back together.
20170504_223802.jpg

-
Back