HELP rebuild my carter or buy new eddie ?????? 340

-

chubsgts

Reaction score
so i got a 340 in a 68 dart just a street car
motor was redone before i got it
sounds like mild purple shaft probley 9 to 1
stock converter

my carter needs a rebuild any one have some one they recomend???
also what size is that stock carter?
or do i just say hell with it and buy a new eddie 600ish and tune that up with elc choke

Which carter do you have? AFB, AVS, Thermoquad? AFB and AVS are easy rebuilds. Thermoquad has internal problems with small glued in piece in each float bowl comming apart. Best guess for AFB - AVS is 625 cfm.

Your 68 340 should have a 750 AVS if it's the factory carb. It also had 10.5 (advertised) compression. If your factory carb is all there and hasn't been hacked, I would just rebuild it. You may need to have the throttle shafts bushed, but this can be done far cheaper than a new carb.

If you are intent on a new carb, a new 750 AVS would bolt right on and look somewhat stock. If you are one of the Carter/Eddy haters a good old Holley 3310 would also be a good choice. No point in going smaller on the carb, it WON'T help gas mileage.

I thought the factory AVS for the 68, 340 was like a 625cfm..... I could be wrong.

Anyway, you can buy a rebuild kit. Basic carb rebuilding is very simple.

im not sure what style it is ill get a pic tonight and post it up any numbers you guys need off of it to tell the cfm

yea its probley a 10 to 1 motor sounds healthy has x heads
car is just a street driver and high way car no real racing im done with that
so what ever would fit me best

only down fall i see rebuilding is some one removed and brazed the warm up flapper in my manifold so i dont know if the stove pipe choke on intake will ever work again with out that hooked up

and if i rebuild it i would really like to have it sonic cleaned so it looks like new but no one around me does carbs i was told tape it off REALLY GOOD and light sand blast and reclear it but if fuel dribbels out i can see it looking like crap when clear comes off

says carter avs

numbers

0-1921
6-1886
h7 4425s

Attachments

• dart 210.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 183
...............its a 68 340 auto carb..........flows in the 600s, 440 carbs flowed 700s because of bigger primaries........kim.......

Kimmer is right. The old Carter tech line said the small AVS was 630 cfm, the large one was 750 cfm. I'd go with the revuild and the possible bushing of the sahfts. his is cheaper than new as said above.

price does not matter to me on a carb ill leave the car sit till i can buy what i need
im not a guy to half do things
thats the reason im asking what you guys think not price wise but what will i be more happy with a rebuild or just a new eddie i think the holley will be littel much for this car
and any input on the choke thing like i commented on above

I'd rebuild the AVS. The factory put a lot of time and testing in calibrating that carb for your engine. Rebuilt and set up properly they run great. Choke should work fine with the flapper open. I take mine completely out and seal the holes. Of course I don't live in South Dakota anymore.

Well a kit is pretty cheap and they are not hard to build. I would built it and save for a holley street avenger 670 but that's just me.I had a eddy on mine it looks good in a box on the floor

funny how carbs are
two cars that can be twins and they will like different carbs seen it to many times one like a holley one likes a demon some like stock i just dont get how some one who can tune a carb can have a hand full of a time with some set ups like i said seen it bunch of times

well as of now like i said the flapper is out of the manifold
when i would start the car no matter how i tryed to set the choke it never worked
car would fire up run for a few then start to bog out like fouling plugs and start to die so i would have to self choke it with my foot till it got a littel heat in it
so i have one answer saying the choke will still work with flapper gone any one else??

I'd rebuild the AVS. The factory put a lot of time and testing in calibrating that carb for your engine. Rebuilt and set up properly they run great. Choke should work fine with the flapper open. I take mine completely out and seal the holes. Of course I don't live in South Dakota anymore.
I'm with 66... rebuild and fix the choke and drive on.

car would fire up run for a few then start to bog out like fouling plugs and start to die

Sounds like the choke pull-off is frazzed. I'd fix the AVS, rebuild it, then go out and kill a few Chivies.

Sounds like the choke pull-off is frazzed. I'd fix the AVS, rebuild it, then go out and kill a few Chivies.

X2

If it does not open, when it starts, this is probably it. Check your vacuum advance to make sure it is not leaking while you are at it.

An Eddy needs a total re-tuning, out of the box. Just like a Holley. As for the choke; leave it out, just keep your foot on the gas, and stop all that raw gas from washing your rings.

An Eddy needs a total re-tuning, out of the box. Just like a Holley. As for the choke; leave it out, just keep your foot on the gas, and stop all that raw gas from washing your rings.

Ha ha ha, yea baby! :eek:ccasion: :burnout:

dont really like the foot choke would rather have it all working or id go to a 600 doubel pump mech

I would rebuild the AVS you have. They're easy to do, the kits are readily available, and they are for the most part very dependable. The 68 340 carb is a 625cfm, but if you are looking for bolt-on performance you can find the same carb for a 68 440. It's one of the oldest performance enhancements for the early 340's. The big block carb flows about 100 more cfm and will still bolt up with all of the existing linkage, etc..

-
Back