help! wierd oil light problem

-

elvaliant66

Reaction score
i have a 170 slant 6 . for some wierd reason when the car is idling the oil light stays on but once i accelerate the oil light turns off.and as im idling the car begins to shakes as if its going to turn off.my oil level is fine and the oil is clean i have a fresh oil pan gasket also... can anyone help me?does anyone know what could be causing this??

Might be a few things

If the oil is too light, or hasn't been changed lately'

If the fuel pump has gone bad and is leaking fuel into the oil

If the engine is quite worn and simply runs low pressure, loose bearings and worn pump

The oil sender itself could be bad and triggering too early

buy yourself an oil gauge and check it for sure

bad wires might be miss nothing worse than leaning tower on 4 cylinders rpm might go low enough to trigger low oil light

Those senders vary but should turn the lamp off at about 9 p.s.i.Through testing with a gauge you'll likely find 25 p.s.i. or better at cold start.Oil pressure drops as engine gets hotter. Typical condition for well worn engines.You don't need to overhaul it today but you can. If you wait until it pokes a connecting rod through the side of the block ( typical for well worn slants ).... Good luck with it.

that is common on slant cars-- the above posts have hit the points you need to check-- , I think there was a tsb(a Chrysler bulletin about this issue)

put an aftermarket oil pressure gauge in & go, Lawrence

Yeah that's why they are called idiot lights LOL! Not that you are the idiot they are! They fritz out under low pressure so best to unplug it and get manual gauge installed and call it a day.

-
Back