help with 340 hp manifolds and TTI 2.5 exhaust

-

el5dart

Reaction score
the problems never stop around here as far as getting this car put together. the problem i am having now is that the TTI x-pipe, extensions, and head pipe will not line up no matter what i do. my left headpipe is located below the outer crossmember bolt and my right headpipe is located at the inner crossmember bolt. i am coming up about an inch and a half narrow at the ends of the headpies to connect to the x-pipe extensions. and with everything connected loose and not bolted down about an inch and a half too wide at the right manifold. i have been trying to get the exhaust system physically in my possesion and installed for over a month now. very slow shipping and bad fitment quality control issues i suppose. i dont know maybe i am doing something wrong?

second picture is as close as i can get headpipe lined up to manifold with everything loosely fitted

i also included a picture that tti sent me showing the width of the headpipes but the picture is showing headers. theTTI picture says 15 1/4" mine measure about 14"

would anyone have a picture from under their car looking toward the front like the picture below showing the ends of the headpipes in relation to the transmission crossmember bolts?

DSC06503.JPG

DSC06525.JPG

A-BODY Header to Trans dimensions (2).JPG

Last edited:
Just my .02 TTI 2.5 exhaust is meant for headers I think? I went through a Torque tech exhaust mounted to Headman headers 20 years ago. I had to make the "headpipe" or the part that bolts to the header collected flange. I had to cut an angle on the pipe and weld the flange on. This was to get the 2.5 pipes "close" to the pipe cutouts in the frame near the trans cross member. I have now decided to go stock style exhaust from accurate exhaust. Anyway point is, you may have to make your own headpipe. As in fit the head pipe to the manifold with a loose flange, and tack weld, then remove and finish weld on the bench I see the pic TTI sent has headers in it. I dunno, another option would be to mod the x pipe? Either way welding i think.

Last edited:
Did you order the TTI’s new or bought them off of someone?

TTI makes the headpipes specifically for the manifolds your running.

Early HP, the late HP, standard 273-318 manifolds and so on... the head pipes are bent differently for each year style and each side.

I did tti 21/2 pipes on a 74 Duster with the 340 manifolds and there are 2 different pipes from the manifold. They sent me the wrong one first time but got it sorted out with 2nd pipe. Mine is a column shift with a 727 and I went with a h pipe instead of x.

I did tti 21/2 pipes on a 74 Duster with the 340 manifolds and there are 2 different pipes from the manifold. They sent me the wrong one first time but got it sorted out with 2nd pipe. Mine is a column shift with a 727 and I went with a h pipe instead of x.

2 different pipes? do you have the HP or TA/aar style or the 73 style with the holes to mount a heat stove? the h and x pipes overlay the same so there shouldnt be any difference in the inlet dimensions on those.

Did you order the TTI’s new or bought them off of someone?

TTI makes the headpipes specifically for the manifolds your running.

Early HP, the late HP, standard 273-318 manifolds and so on... the head pipes are bent differently for each year style and each side.

early hp or late hp? my manifolds are dated mid 67 so they probably came off an early 68 GTS. all i did was tell them i had 2863553 and 2863549 manifolds going on a71 dart with a 4 speed, are the 70 dart / ta & aar cuda ones different. i know there are inny and outty casting number differences but i am not aware of the actual shape of the castings being different from year to year.

heres what i have:

DSC06420.JPG

H-Pipe overlay on X-Pipe.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the repro 340 manifolds and everything fit well. The manifold #2863549 & 2863553

Last edited:
when i did the tti 2.5" exhaust on our dart. i used the early exhaust manifolds... used tti 2.5" with X-Pipe system.

assuming you have the correct pipes for your manifolds...

i had to remove somewhere around 4" off the head pipe so everything would line up.. once i did that all was good. i hung the head pipes first, then went to the tips and built it backwards all loose. it fits great once ya figure out where it needs to be trimmed..

DSC_0005.JPG

Last edited:
Here is where my pipes sit. Kinda shitty pics so hopefully they help some.

you can see how far ahead of the crossmember my pipes sit.
driver side
IMG_20200822_135815.jpg

passenger side
IMG_20200822_135837.jpg

been talking with a great gut sam at tti. turns out the right side pipe they sent me is bad. they went through their inventory and found 15 pipes that were made wrong on passenger side. i was lucky enough to recieve one. notice in my original post in the first picture how far left the right pipe terminates. it should be under the outer trans x-member bolt not the inner.

been talking with a great gut sam at tti. turns out the right side pipe they sent me is bad. they went through their inventory and found 15 pipes that were made wrong on passenger side. i was lucky enough to recieve one. notice in my original post in the first picture how far left the right pipe terminates. it should be under the outer trans x-member bolt not the inner.

What are you gonna do with the incorrect one?

Sell it? Return it or ?

i don't know why they would want to pay to ship a bad part back when they have 15 other bad ones there to reference. but they haven't asked for it back as of yet. a man with a tig welder could probably cut it re-clock it and welder back up though i suppose.

i don't know why they would want to pay to ship a bad part back when they have 15 other bad ones there to reference. but they haven't asked for it back as of yet. a man with a tig welder could probably cut it re-clock it and welder back up though i suppose.

what do you want for it?

I tried to PM but your inbox is full

W

What do you want for it?

Tried to PM but you inbox is full.

-
Back