Help with Distributor sitting high

-

JeffreysDart

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Test fitting my distributor into the engine and it doesn't look right, seems to be sitting high. I bought this long block along with the car and the dude really didn't know much about either. He claimed the 318 was a blueprint rebuild.

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

Have you tried tapping on the gear to make sure it's fully seated in the oil pump???

almost looks like the intermediate shaft sits just a hair to high
try rotating the crank, that will rotate the cam shaft and suck that puppy right in

What does the rest of the distributor look like? Particularly the placement of the vacuum canister?

Hi Guys,
Test fitting my distributor into the engine and it doesn't look right, seems to be sitting high. I bought this long block along with the car and the dude really didn't know much about either. He claimed the 318 was a blueprint rebuild.

View attachment 1715557823

View attachment 1715557824

View attachment 1715557825

View attachment 1715557826

How about showing a picture from a little further back so we can see the vacuum advance pod on the distributor????

The oil pump drive is a hex but it usually drops in without much force. Stick a screwdriver in the slot and turn it back and forth to seat it.

hard to tell on my phone, but does that look like there is something halfway down the intermediate shaft...maybe like the broken of bottom 1/8th of the previous distributor?

feel free to dribble a little oil on the cam / drive gears, and a wipe of oil on the O-ring too

Yeah, that looks like the proper small block distributor...

Try tapping the gear down or rotate it back and forth with a flat blade screwdriver to see if it will drop in any deeper...

If that doesn't work, measure the depth of the shaft from the seating surface on the distributor and we can measure one to compare it to...

Uncle Tony's Garage just posted a video of a problem he ran into similar to this.

I agree though, it looks like something in the gear around 5 o'clock.

just snug the bolt and bump the motor, lot easier than pulling it and screwing on it.

No movement when tapping, turned crank 3 times- nothing
by nothing, i guess you mean the drive turns but won't drop down in any further? time to pull the pan and oil pump. then re-check TDC and put the drive back in with the slot lined up properly.

edit: drain the oil out of the pan before you flip it over. before you put the drive in, it would also be a good time to prime the oil system.

Well, try it without the O ring, just in case. Otherwise, the bushing isn't seated in the block or it's flange is too thick.

-
Back