Help with Distributor sitting high

-
Sometimes people put a "regular" o-ring on the distributor. I forget the actual cross section size. Do as Demonic says, try without o-ring.

i would pull and inspect the intermediate shaft before i pull the pan

stick a big ole screw driver in there, and it should pop right out

by nothing, i guess you mean the drive turns but won't drop down in any further? time to pull the pan and oil pump. then re-check TDC and put the drive back in with the slot lined up properly.

edit: drain the oil out of the pan before you flip it over. before you put the drive in, it would also be a good time to prime the oil system.

correct, wont go down any further

Hi Guys,
Test fitting my distributor into the engine and it doesn't look right, seems to be sitting high. I bought this long block along with the car and the dude really didn't know much about either. He claimed the 318 was a blueprint rebuild.

View attachment 1715557823

View attachment 1715557824

View attachment 1715557825

View attachment 1715557826

From photo 4 there, it looks like it's hanging up on the o-ring...

Try lubing the o-ring with penetrating oil or grease, then put it back in the engine... If it still won't go all the way in try taking the distributor hold down bracket and bolt and tighten it down and see if the bracket will get the o-ring to compress....

From photo 4 there, it looks like it's hanging up on the o-ring...

Try lubing the o-ring with penetrating oil or grease, then put it back in the engine... If it still won't go all the way in try taking the distributor hold down bracket and bolt and tighten it down and see if the bracket will get the o-ring to compress....

will try

There is also a gasket that is supposed to go on that surface between the distributor and block... Here is a picture of it on one of mine...

Dist Seat 1.JPG

One arrow points to the gasket, the other to the o-ring...

Dist Seat 1C.jpg

Hi Guys,
Test fitting my distributor into the engine and it doesn't look right, seems to be sitting high. I bought this long block along with the car and the dude really didn't know much about either. He claimed the 318 was a blueprint rebuild.

View attachment 1715557823

View attachment 1715557824

View attachment 1715557825

View attachment 1715557826
Is that the right o ring? I tried putting one I thought was right and could not get it down for anything. Might be another angle to consider.

Jake

Don't see any assembly lube and looks like there is a piece of a broken Distributor shaft in the slot. I would tear the motor down and put it back together with lube.

Pull the drive gear and make sure there isn't a broken stub off and old distributor stuck in the slot. I'd also make sure the bushing is the correct one and seated properly.

motor of unknown origin that looks that dry, i hope you don't wipe the cam. at the least, i'd prime it with an oil pressure gauge on it, turning it with a socket, before installing it.
...dude really didn't know much about either. He claimed the 318 was a blueprint rebuild.
did you take that to mean rebuilt by BluePrint Engines or that it was blueprinted when it was rebuilt. that doesn't look like BluePrint Engines did it but @Johnny Mac should be able to confirm that.
glad you got the dist to fit

Distributors with a groove for the O ring should use one. The earlier distributors without the groove use the gasket. No reason to use both.

I measured a new Mallory dostributor 3.90 tip to flange.

motor of unknown origin that looks that dry, i hope you don't wipe the cam. at the least, i'd prime it with an oil pressure gauge on it, turning it with a socket, before installing it.
did you take that to mean rebuilt by BluePrint Engines or that it was blueprinted when it was rebuilt. that doesn't look like BluePrint Engines did it but @Johnny Mac should be able to confirm that.
glad you got the dist to fit
Tis not ours.
Very common for aftermarket SB distributors to have the shafts longer than they need to be, or the keyway machined too fat. Fyi to OP. We have to machine them occasionally out of the box.

-
Back