Help with SPD date

-

demon67

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a 72 Demon 340 that needs the fender tags replaced. I think I figured out everything on the tag from what was still original to the car. the one problem I am having a hard time with is decoding the SPD. because my fender tag is like swiss cheese, it kind of looks like 802, but have been told that is not right. i tried to look at the door sticker but that is really faded. Not sure how else or what else to look for. What parts on the car would also have production dates to go by? This would give me some type of date when it was built. Here is my fender tag and door sticker. I also read that because my dash gauges has a seat belt warning light, that it was a mid to late 72 build because of legislation that came in at that time. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Demon fender tag.JPG

001.JPG

058.jpg

0BEFC130-7039-49A7-BA43-45DA3D6044D9.jpeg
Door sticker sure looks like 3 72 to me.

From the back, if this is the part you’re questioning, it looks like 302 to me.
1C5036CC-C3B1-43E1-85DD-B353902E9A9D.jpeg

This might help a little. Dang, that thing is in tough shape.

fendertag.JPG

72 MY started production in August ‘71 and ran to July ‘72.

Your Demon was built in the last half of the ‘72 MY production.

Post some pictures of the rest of the car; was the rest of it in grim shape too?

Post some pictures of the rest of the car; was the rest of it in grim shape too?
Awesome. So what would 302 be?

That I can’t answer for sure as I don’t have that knowledge. I know my 71 Demon was built in 10 of 70. But based off that 03 72 would be a mid to late production year car. March 1972

Last edited:
How in the heck did you manage to do that. Wow, that helps me immensely. Thanks Mike. I am getting Data tags to make me a new one but want to get it right first.
I thought you might like that.

Go under the Photo garages tab and click on updated. I just posted some updated pics on my car. Look for 72 Dodge Demon rebuild.

Awesome. So what would 302 be?
The Scheduled Production Date was March 2, 1972, a Thursday. It does not mean the Demon was built this day, but somewhere close. Your door sticker, if legible may shed more light on this.

The Scheduled Production Date was March 2, 1972, a Thursday. It does not mean the Demon was built this day, but somewhere close. Your door sticker, if legible may shed more light on this.
Thanks Goldfish. I did add a picture of the door sticker, which is also hard to read but does kind of look like 3 72. scroll up and check it out to see what you can see from the picture.

-
Back