Help with turn signal cancellation switch - 65 Dart

-

SFGlam

Reaction score
HI there - Hoping someone can help me with an easy question.....I acquired a new to me 65 Dart last year (after my previous one was stolen) and am slowly but surely trying to take care of some things. One item is the turn signal cancellation switch - I am trying to get this fixed but want to verify what it is I need. I sent my mechanic a photo but he's an older guy and not really a big e-mailer LOL

I am quite sure I had to deal with this on my original Dart but I just went through my entire binder of receipts and log of stuff I had done and am not seeing evidence.

Is this what I need?

Thank you so much in advance!

s-l1200.jpg

HI there - Hoping someone can help me with an easy question.....I acquired a new to me 65 Dart last year (after my previous one was stolen) and am slowly but surely trying to take care of some things. One item is the turn signal cancellation switch - I am trying to get this fixed but want to verify what it is I need. I sent my mechanic a photo but he's an older guy and not really a big e-mailer LOL

I am quite sure I had to deal with this on my original Dart but I just went through my entire binder of receipts and log of stuff I had done and am not seeing evidence.

Is this what I need?

View attachment 1716291214
That's probably what you need. I can't tell whether that one is the specific one you need though.

It looks like it. But just know that the reas of the switch is likely equally old. It's not like all this new electronic stuff. That switch is totally mechanical in nature. Just to let you know. According to Rock Auto the correct number for your Dart is Standard TW78C. Whether that crosses to what you have pictured, I don't know.

It looks like it. But just know that the reas of the switch is likely equally old. It's not like all this new electronic stuff. That switch is totally mechanical in nature. Just to let you know. According to Rock Auto the correct number for your Dart is Standard TW78C. Whether that crosses to what you have pictured, I don't know.
Right. I will look into this - thank you!

If it's just the cancel part not working, that kit will most of the time work fine. If the switch is badly warped or the electrical part is bad in any way, that cancel cam won't fix that. Just take care installing it as the electrical guts can pop out if you get rough with it.

Skip the Chinese stuff that isn't wired right or falls apart within six months.
@slantsixdan had new ones made by the original supplier to Chrysler a while ago- maybe he's got some left.

Skip the Chinese stuff that isn't wired right or falls apart within six months.
@slantsixdan had new ones made by the original supplier to Chrysler a while ago- maybe he's got some left.
Complete switches. (if he still supplies them)

Yes, if you need a whole new switch, get a good quality one. If however you just need the cancel cam part of it, that kit can solve the problem if installed correctly. It's not a Chinese product as for as I know. I started using them over 30 years ago and they were made here in the U.S.

Yes, if you need a whole new switch, get a good quality one. If however you just need the cancel cam part of it, that kit can solve the problem if installed correctly. It's not a Chinese product as for as I know. I started using them over 30 years ago and they were made here in the U.S.
yes - I just need the cancel cam are you referring to the one from Rock Auto, or Dan?

The one you show in post#1. That's the one I've used for decades. I think I still have one or two of them somewhere.

Just a word of caution. If you replace the whole switch. There is a metal ring with three screws around the perimeter that secures the switch in place. Do not overtighten them. This will cause the switch to bind and may not return properly. Just snug is plenty good.

Just a word of caution. If you replace the whole switch. There is a metal ring with three screws around the perimeter that secures the switch in place. Do not overtighten them. This will cause the switch to bind and may not return properly. Just snug is plenty good.
noted!!!! thank you!

Is this what I need?

View attachment 1716291214
get ahold of slant6dan. I can't remember his username to tag him.

Is this what I need?
I have use the SM13 in my 63 Belvedere. And as said above Dan has the best complete replacement.
Also look up OCPNW Old Car Parts Northwest. I believe they and Dan work together.

I have use the SM13 in my 63 Belvedere. And as said above Dan has the best complete replacement.
Also look up OCPNW Old Car Parts Northwest. I believe they and Dan work together.
Thank you! will check it out! I wrote to Dan so we'll see what he says as well.

IF you use the SM13 just take your time to pry the old one from the rest of the switch.
You may ask yourself "Is this really 2 piece ?" yes be gentle.

-
Back