Help!! Won't Crank

-

YoungDuster

Reaction score
Hey today i got a new battery moved from a refurbished old batt to a new battery 800cc, i tryed to turn my motor over it cranked but as i was feathering her to start she wouldnt so i stoped cranking and feather thinking maybe i had flooded the motor but when i tryed to start her again nothing no cranking sound nothing but white smoke and what smelled like burned rubber or plastic came out from the hood not a huge amount but a good amount, only things beside the battery i touched at all today was i checked my airfilter and messured it then put it back on didnt even touch the carb cap or anything. accel ignition and wires points distrubutor. please help 1972 plymouth duster 340 model but i have a 318 in it right now mild cam and lifters 750 holley 4 barrel carb. temp outside today is 42-53f, What happened? and what can i do to fix it/how do i fix it

Check your battery cable connections, make sure you didn't switch them by accident.

thats what it was wife came out and i was turning the bat around to fit in the tray forgot i turned it around ******* rookie move possible damage im going to try an do another start now

You probably burned up the fusable link. This is down by the bulkhead connector. It goes from the big battery stud on the starter relay to the bulkhead. Find it and feel it. Sometimes they blow internally. You may have fried other wiring, as those things have a habit of "allowing the Rome to burn" and then popping too late.

You can hope you didn't do any damage to solid state devices.

When you decide to try it again, put a big lamp, like a stop lamp bulb, in series with the battery ground wire. Make sure everything is "off" in the car as well as the dome lamp. Hook up the battery. If the series connected lamp lights, you STILL HAVE A SHORT.

If so post back

You can download shop manuals here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

More manuals and more stuff here

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

no crank whatsoever but its in right now, do i need new wires distru sparks start?

also no light an such in the car i can connect to, where can i get new wires im pulling the engine in a week or so to put headers on so itll be easy to reach everything like if its only like 50-100$ ill replace it all it was all factory 72 some were getting rough

Do what 67Dart273 is telling you, if you didn't already know he is awesome on electrical, very willing to help but try what he recommends first and ask questions, he's very helpful.

iv never done the electrical in any car i start away from it so should i outsorce or is this something simple enough i could do

ok its pitch black right now ill need to wait till the m to check it and ill find a bulb

Here's the thing that happens when you reverse a battery:

NO solid state electronics "like" this and if you had the key "on" when this happened, there are several things in the car that are not fused

If you have some form of electronic ignition, that's not fused

The voltage regulator is not fused

The diodes in the alternator don't like this at all

So the question becomes "what was powered" at the time and "did the link" blow quickly enough?

This is always a gamble.

Another good read is this article: Even if you don't perform this "mod" it goes through the main power distro in the car

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Download the shop manual. Read section 8. There are diagrams in the rear, and the bulkhead connector will be outlined there as well.

Post back to this thread when you "get into" it.

Before I go on - Are you sure you have the right connections on the battery - Check the Polarity - POS and NEG - the battery you received may be different in configuration.
Poles are different in appearance. Double Check Please.

If Backwards you may have easily fried some wires. See below;

Sounds like you might have a short - look for any fried wires. Check your wiring Before doing anything else. Any bad wiring or mice problems. Check it all very carefully.

Hope this helps,
Bcudamatt

-
Back