"Help

-

jeffduster

Duster
Reaction score
Well i finally have money to spend on my car, and i was planing on changing the rear wheel bearing.and the u joints. The problem is that i don't want to pay some one to do something that i might be able to do these things with the right instructions. So the question is how hard would it be to change the wheel bearings. Where would i come upon instructions to change them?Oh my Car has an 7 1/4 in it.

Thanks

Most if not all 7 1/4 rears have the bearing pressed on the axle. Jack up the rear, remove wheel and brake drum, you should see a hole in the axle flange, this will allow access to remove nuts that are holding the bearing retainer on the rear. Once the nuts are removed the axle may be pulled out. A slide hammmer may be needed to pull axle/bearing assembly out. These bearings are pressed onto the axle. Its possible to remove and replace the bearing yourself without a press, but I have no experience with that. I would just take it to a machine shop and have them do it.

It's not real common that axle bearings go bad. Are you chasing a vibration or noise? U joints are prety easy as long as you'r careful. Axle bearings and the tube seals are a little more involved, and unles they are howling, you can probably just re-pack them and be good to go.

well the rear end has a noise when i let off the gas and when i went under the car the driveshaft was lose from the rear u joints so i tighten them still a noise so i wanted to replace them and the wheel bearings

-
Back