"Helpful Tips" from "Deputy Craig"

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me that the ISP, WSP, or any other agency get on TV and preach the outdated and unworkable "carlength for 10mph" following distance.

I was taught long ago "2 seconds."

I've noticed that AARP preaches "3 seconds."

SO TODAY "Deputy Craig" on one of the Spokane networks, was telling us FFFFFFFOOOOOOOUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR seconds between you and the car ahead.

We havin' a contest, here, or whut?

the further away from the car in front of you, you are, the more reaction time you have, there is no need to tailgate, or even follow to close when people do that to me I want to toss a brick out my widow

the further away from the car in front of you, you are, the more reaction time you have, there is no need to tailgate, or even follow to close when people do that to me I want to toss a brick out my widow
I commuted daily on a motorcycle for the first 11 years I lived in AZ, I used to carry a few marbles in one of my pockets for when I had someone that was riding my ***.........aint no reason to tailgate.....

If you're travelling at 75 mph, four seconds back is 440 feet. Sounds excessive to me. That would only allow 12 cars per mile. I don't tailgate, and I hate tailgaters, but rules like this don't fit all situations.

How about, put down your cell phone? Stop reading while driving? Pay attention?

Most people treat the fact that they are responsible for hurtling 2-3 tons of steel down the road as seriously as pushing a shopping cart around WalMart, which we know they don't pay attention to, either.

I'm all for the distance between you and the next car. You are not going to get there any sooner,by riding the guy in front of you rear bumper. If it's me,it'll be later. Gaurantee you,I'm slowing down. Worse than the tail gater's is the talkers/texters. Can you not stay off the phone for just a few minutes?

I'm all for the distance between you and the next car. You are not going to get there any sooner,by riding the guy in front of you rear bumper. If it's me,it'll be later. Gaurantee you,I'm slowing down. Worse than the tail gater's is the talkers/texters. Can you not stay off the phone for just a few minutes?
My last trip to town I could not believe what I saw. Guy was first at the light, sitting there screwing around with his phone. Was not paying attention to his vehicle and lifted his foot off the brake and rolled out into traffic. Luckily no one nailed his ***....and wouldn't you now it there was a cop 3 cars behind him. That was probably the easiest ticket of that cops career...

I AM NOT advocating tailgating.

if you're travelling at 75 mph, four seconds back is 440 feet. Sounds excessive to me. That would only allow 12 cars per mile. I don't tailgate, and i hate tailgaters, but rules like this don't fit all situations.

Most people treat the fact that they are responsible for hurtling 2-3 tons of steel down the road as seriously as pushing a shopping cart around walmart, which we know they don't pay attention to, either.

excellent

unfortunately every clown and his brother sees that space between you and the car in front of you as somewhere to jump in instead of your braking zone , I drive a 77 grand prix as a daily beater and leave room for me to stop my 5000 lbs one day one of these guys is going to learn 5000lbs don't stop on a whim when he cuts in and brakes

Remember back in the day when we saw a car swerving around and we'd think that they must be drunk? Now we assume they're using their phone.

I cant stand traffic jams due to people following to close and not allowing cars to merge, they all just STOP and sit there on each others bumpers playing some kind of stupid game, then you got the a$$hole speeding down the shoulder cutting in front causing everyone to slam on there brakes, infuriating! if people just learned how to drive traffic could move smoothly, it really is a simple concept,

drive right, pass left
dont tailgate, leave room in front
alternate lane merge, like a zipper

if everyone followed these simple rules 90+% of traffic jams could be avoided

I use 3 seconds for following (that's still the standard up here), 4 seconds is BS unless you're driving an 18 wheeler. What really ticks me off is when I'm in the right lane and someone is coming down the ramp to merge. You make a hole for them and they don't take it, usually to busy doing something more important than driving. When they do take the hole they don't speed up to what everyone else is driving so I got to hit the brakes. The sign that says "Merge" should read "Speed up and Merge ya Moron".:cussing:

I cant stand .......... not allowing cars to merge.........alternate lane merge, like a zipper.............

The problem with that theory---other than getting people to actually DO it is that there are TOO MANY tools that come idlin' up the on ramp doin' 30-40 mph when the rest of us are doin' 65-70. It REALLY tests whether "do I want this moron in front of me?"

On top of that, at least in WA and ID, it is the MERGING PERSON'S JOB to get up to speed and "merge smoothly" with traffic.

I stay far enough back to slow down using the jake, and not even touching the brakes. You bumper to bumper drivers can have your white knuckle driving.

I use 3 seconds for following (that's still the standard up here), 4 seconds is BS unless you're driving an 18 wheeler. What really ticks me off is when I'm in the right lane and someone is coming down the ramp to merge. You make a hole for them and they don't take it, usually to busy doing something more important than driving. When they do take the hole they don't speed up to what everyone else is driving so I got to hit the brakes. The sign that says "Merge" should read "Speed and Merge ya Moron".:cussing:

3 seconds behind me at 70mph, I lock up the binders on my dually at the same instance your squeezing out a fart blip at a time so your new GF doesn't smell it, and you have a class five hitch and receiver in your radiator..............

Anyone who has to count how many seconds they are behind someone shouldn't be on the road.

I had a guy tailgaiting me today. I was on a 2 lane highway that was 55 going around a semi. I was do 65 in my minivan trying to go around and the moron behing me is soo close I can't see his hood just the windscreen. So I give the brakes a tap to turn off the cruise and get him off my behind and he proceeds to flip me off. Then flys by and almost hits me and the semi as the moron swereved thru traffic. He was all big flipping off guy until he saw how big I was then he turned off F*ing loser nearly killed me and my family.

Quote: Anyone who has to count how many seconds they are behind someone shouldn't be on the road.

I didn't mean to always be counting 1-2-3 as you're driving along. You only have to do it a couple times when you're young and learning to drive then figuring out the distance becomes natural. By the way I've driven Dodge 3500 cummins, 4 door dualies and by the time you get that "land Yacht" stopped any of the 4 wheel disc cars I've owned in the last 20 yrs. would have been stopped with enough time to spare that I could have got out and peed out my last cup of coffee.

Demon, we all know regulating greenhouse gas out the @$$ takes way more concentration than three seconds AND peeing out the last cup of coffee!

(the post was meant in fun)

Oh, and you would be AMAZED how fast my 74 2x short cab dually stops..... 3450 with a driver and six tires does amazing things! The 92 Cummins is a different story, LOL.

Ups driver are told 4-6 seconds for 30mph and 6-8 seconds for over 40mph

Considering that a big, top heavy van full of boxes PROBABLY should not be having to make panic stops, this is not surprising

3 seconds behind me at 70mph, I lock up the binders on my dually at the same instance your squeezing out a fart blip at a time so your new GF doesn't smell it, and you have a class five hitch and receiver in your radiator..............

Anyone who has to count how many seconds they are behind someone shouldn't be on the road.

Wow, "BANNED" eh?

It never ceases to amaze me that the ISP, WSP, or any other agency get on TV and preach the outdated and unworkable "carlength for 10mph" following distance.

I was taught long ago "2 seconds."

I've noticed that AARP preaches "3 seconds."

SO TODAY "Deputy Craig" on one of the Spokane networks, was telling us FFFFFFFOOOOOOOUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR seconds between you and the car ahead.

We havin' a contest, here, or whut?

the way i was taught was 1 car length for every 10mph behind lets be safe out there i see to many people tailgateing why do people have to be right on your bumper at any speed let alone when your doing 75mph you can't stop with out hit the guy in front of you and don't tell me you can and most will blame it on the guy they hit back off and live if your worried about being late leave a little soon

the way i was taught was 1 car length for every 10mph behind lets be safe out there i see to many people tailgateing why do people have to be right on your bumper at any speed let alone when your doing 75mph you can't stop with out hit the guy in front of you and don't tell me you can and most will blame it on the guy they hit back off and live if your worried about being late leave a little soon

You're preachin' to the choir but my point is that the vast majority of folks have NO idea what "one car length" actually IS."

ANYBODY can be taught to count "one one thousand......."

Tailgating is common practise in this town. Usually a younger person,but not always. When people tailgate me I tap the brakes enough to slow down and put my rear bumper in thier grille if they dont take the hint.

What I really dont get is why do they have to tailgate in the first place? Im already doing a bit better than the speed limit,maybe 85 km in an 80. These same people will pass at the first opportunity,and be doing well over the limit when doing so.

Im happy when they pass me but really why do it at 110 kph in an 80? Then they continue speeding after passing..

-
Back