Here's a silly question

-

DaveZee

SoCal Mopar Guy
Reaction score
What motor oil do you use in your car, and why. I'm in SoCal, so I'm not worried about freezing temps! :glasses2:

you will probobly open the gate here, but I am using Rotella 15w-40 oil now, and will change to synthetic in the future

I used to run Castrol 10-30 in everything, but the turbo cars (which get Mobil1), but they didn't have a case of it at Costco one day, so I bought the Chevron 10-30. It's cheaper, too.

I don`t think that`s a silly question, I`ve often wondered what others use too. I`ve always used 10-40w Valvoline here year `round in Virginia.

I have always used synthetic, mostly Mobil 1, in my trubo vehciles. Three of them in the past 20 years with a total accumulated milage of 461,000 miles. Never was into the motor or turbo on any of them.

I have been using dino oil, what ever name brand was on sale, in my other cars. I am now using Shell Rotella or Mobil Delvac in the Barracuda since all the discussions regarding additives to protect flat tappet cams not being in the modern oil.

I have used Valvoline for over 35 years,and have had great luck with it. Most of my vehicles have run high mileage,before I got rid of them. (My last truck went 350,000,my current has 200,000). I am thinking about going to Rotella for my a-bodies though,because of the zinc factor that has been discussed so much on here lately. :-k

[QUOTE='73red-duster]I have used Valvoline for over 35 years,and have had great luck with it. Most of my vehicles have run high mileage,before I got rid of them. (My last truck went 350,000,my current has 200,000). I am thinking about going to Rotella for my a-bodies though,because of the zinc factor that has been discussed so much on here lately. :-k[/QUOTE]

What exactly is the 'Zinc factor?' :read2:

DaveZee said:
What exactly is the 'Zinc factor?' :read2:

look in the engine thread for bad cams.

No zinc, makes cam lobes wear much faster.

Rotella, 15-40 diesel spec oil has some Zinc still in it.

Or you can go to your local GM Dealer, and buy some
GM Engine oil Supplement. ;)

I use Mobil 1 10W30 in the race car and change it once a year. I also use it in my V10 tow vehicle and change it every 6000 miles.

I use what ever is on sale 10W30 mineral oil in my 400,000+ mile Dakota 5.2 and change it whenever I think about it. Usually anywhere between 5000 and 7000 miles.

I'll run CQ 15-40 fleet plus or Rotellain most stuff. Syntec full synthetic or Red Line in the racey stuff after break in. My old 400 '78 Adventurer gets 20-50 CQ due to a leaky rear main.

-
Back