Here's the difference on the '63-6 vert W/S gasket

-

cudamark

Reaction score
OK, I just received my new windshield rubber gasket from Layson's (made by Precision Replacement Parts), and compared it to my original windshield gasket out of my '66 Valiant convertible. First of all, let me say that it looks like it will interchange with the old one, and the quality looks good. When I talked with Dave Layson, he claims he's sold lots of them to convertible owners and not a single complaint or comeback. Now, as far as visual differences, the first photo shows a difference in the bottom inside section. There is a small groove in the rubber between the glass slot and the bottom edge of the rubber on both pieces, however, the width of the rubber between the glass slot and extra trim slot is different. It's narrower on the new gasket. Next is the upper inside rubber. That section is wider on the replacement than the one on the old gasket. Should it interfere with the molding, I guess I could trim a bit off. Shouldn't be a problem though. The last photo is of the outside groove for the lockstrip. It's wider on the replacement and the slot has a different contour on the floor of the slot. Since I'm also using a new lockstrip from Layson's, that shouldn't be an issue, but, it might be if you tried to mix and match old parts with the new replacement stuff. I haven't actually tried to install either gasket or lockstrip yet, so, I'll let you know if I find anything else of note. This car is getting a complete renovation, so, it won't be any time soon. I have several early A-bodies (hardtops) that can use this new gasket, so, I may not use it with this particular build, and instead, reuse the old one since it's correct for the convertible. I'll at least slide it into the frame without the glass just to see how it fits. Here's some so-so photos.

wsrubber.jpg

wsrubber2.jpg

wsrubber3.jpg

Thanks for the product review, these help us all, and make repo companies better when we call them out for poor quality or bad fit.

I don't think the quality or fit will be a problem at this point. Naturally, I won't know until I actually try to install everything. My main purpose was to answer the question as to why there was a different part number in the factory manual for the convertible seal verses the rest of the body styles. Since they only make one replacement seal for all body styles, it might be important for someone doing a 100% stock restoration. In that case, since they don't make an exact convertible repro, you would want to save the old gasket to reuse, even if you accidentally break the windshield to do it. The glass can be had, and proper codes etched into it to make it look original. Once installed, you might not see any difference between this replacement and an original except for that width different on the bottom inside section between the glass and the extra groove.

Quick research question.
When changing the windshield, after removing the lock strip does the glass come out of the gasket, leaving the gasket in place?
I've seen the listings that say "not for convertibles". And a few other mentions that the hardtop gasket will work.
My gasket shows some weathering and cracking, and the glass is scratched and starting to delaminate. Trying to get the info so I can plan ahead. Thanks.

Last edited:
If you're replacing both, just push the windshield out with your feet. If you're trying to save either one or both, you can do it either way.....glass and gasket together, or, windshield first (probably the best way if the gasket is really glued in) and then the gasket. The convertible gasket IS different, but, the replacement one everyone sells will fit just fine. It's a slight appearance and coverage difference. Most people won't notice.

Are the gaskets glued/sealed into the frame?
Then the glass goes in like the old pickup truck rear windows, with a rope to pull the lip over the glass?
Then the lockstrip holds the lip in place?
It will probably be obvious when I have the parts in hand and take the old stuff out!

Who knows what could have happened to your car over the last 55 years. Originally they had a soft gooey sealer on the gasket to frame sealing area. The gasket to glass didn't have anything near as I can tell. Sometimes glass installers will do what they think is best, not necessarily what the factory did. On installation, I've used both the gasket first and then the glass method, and also the glass and gasket together, and install with the rope method. I believe the former is the way the factory did it. It's less messy inside and you can better seal the gasket to the frame that way.

-
Back