hey, is this a viable option for us 8.25" rear guys?

-
im with Walter on this dont waste your money get a good 8 3/4 they can be a punk to find my dad broke down and gave me his when im ready to do the relo kit for the springs i still hav the gay *** 7 3/4 with 2.73's man what a slug but she haul in the top end!

My vote is for saving your money and get a 8 3/4!

Years ago....I went through 8 1/4 like they were butter. And that was with a 14sec. 318" Duster. Once I put the 8 3/4 in there....no more broken rears.

I used to go to the $20 if you can move it...you get it for $20 junkyard. One day...I found 4 8 1/4 rears...I put them on a hood and dragged them out for $20 that was a good day.

Needless to say....I went through those rears in 1 season!

I love my 8 3/4 rear. I will probably be going to a fab 9" here next year.

Sledgehammer said:
I used to go to the $20 if you can move it...you get it for $20 junkyard. One day...I found 4 8 1/4 rears...I put them on a hood and dragged them out for $20 that was a good day.
You da man!

I agree with everyone else. Save your bucks and find a good 8 3/4 set up. It will be money much better spent. I just found a 489 case for 60 bucks, obviously no guts, but for the funds I've saved, I can build my own. I already have the 3.55 gears to go into her.

i dont suppose somebody could tell me what size is in my car stock could they?
and, how hard is it to find an 8 3/4 ?

Your car should have a 8 1/4 rear if its still the original. If it looks sort of round with a cover, then its a 8 1/4. If its really round with no cover on the back, then its a 8 3/4. A-body 8 3/4 rears are getting harder to come by. Also 73 and newer a-bodies have the 4 1/2" bolt pattern and the 72 and older have the 4" bolt pattern. 72 was the last year for the a-body 8 3/4. If you come across a housing for an a-body or a rear without a sure grip, you should grab it. The housing is the hardest part to get. And since you have the larger bolt pattern rims, you'd probably want to change axles anyway.

-
Back