High powered 67 dart convertible

-

jwclaus85

Reaction score
I’m deep into a build on a 67 Dart Gt convertible. Complete RMS coilover suspension, street lynx rear with subframe connectors.

Power comes from a gen 3 392 hemi with heads and cam. I anticipate 500 horses to the wheels.

my question is will the subframe connectors and street lynx rear suspension be enough to handle the power without twisting? I would like to run nittos, but I want to
Be sure that the frame is rigid enough to handle it all..

Drive it diagonally partway up a driveway and try to open the door.

There was a recent post about a guy who drag raced a 68 dart convert, I have seen a couple of photos where he has the front wheels off the ground and it is mostly level, I don't know what frame mods were done.

Okay thank you for the advice. I’ll give that a shot once. I know the doors get tight when the car is on a lift. I’ve seen a few other convertibles online with slicks and it seems just to be the frame connectors enforcing everything..

Drive it diagonally partway up a driveway and try to open the door.

There was a recent post about a guy who drag raced a 68 dart convert, I have seen a couple of photos where he has the front wheels off the ground and it is mostly level, I don't know what frame mods were done.

If the convert had a solid roof it would be stiffer than a 383/440 GTS,

All converts have the torque boxes, and an additional "C" channel in the rocker.

OCDart, what part of
OC?
I used to live in Anaheim.

I have a 1967 Dart GT convertible "Home-Brewed" with a 512 cu.in. EFI.
I also have the frame rails tied together.
If I really accelerate hard at night, the courtesy lights will come on..

Cool! Everything staying tight and secure? Have you ever had slicks on it?

I have a 1967 Dart GT convertible "Home-Brewed" with a 512 cu.in. EFI.
I also have the frame rails tied together.
If I really accelerate hard at night, the courtesy lights will come on..

Not true slicks no..

I am running Mickey Thompson ET Streets.. 3.25 x 50 x 15 on 10" Magnum 500 wheels with a 5'' backspace.
Okay cool, I was planning to just use nittos? Who do you use to insure the car? Is occasional drag racing apart of the policy or is that a don’t ask/don’t tell sort of thing?

Okay cool, I was planning to just use nittos? Who do you use to insure the car? Is occasional drag racing apart of the policy or is that a don’t ask/don’t tell sort of thing?

Insurance is through State Farm.
Has been since I started driving 58 years ago.

Drag racing is no longer part of my car life as far as my cars go.
My nearest dragstrip is only 52 miles. But the tow to get there is almost all through the Ouachita Mountains up Hwy 7 and I don't like the drive, especially at night coming home.

-
Back