Holley 1920 throttle lever spring - connect to what?

-

1966DartConvertible

Reaction score
Hi again

Im just wondering, on a standard factory slant six equipped with Holley 1920, what keeps the throttle lever (and butterfly) in the closed position? I would imagine some kind of spring? If so, where should this spring be connected to?

Here is my current setup (see the spring on the right)
P1040717.jpg

I do not have the well type choke thermostat there at the moment but soon i will, so where should I connect the spring to then (i mean as per factory)?

Thanks.

Syed

oeamu.jpg

Ive used 2 bbs, 2 1920s and a 1940 and all interchange. The 1940 have a butterfly spring built in but I used a lighter spring for added ins. Check out Slantsix.org for tons of info. Ive done the HEI conversion just like slantsixdan along with using NGK plugs and did my own fuel line mod.

oeamu.jpg

Ive used 2 bbs, 2 1920s and a 1940 and all interchange. The 1940 have a butterfly spring built in but I used a lighter spring for added ins. Check out Slantsix.org for tons of info. Ive done the HEI conversion just like slantsixdan along with using NGK plugs and did my own fuel line mod.

Any idea where I can get one? or know anyone with a spare bracket? Or else, if you could give me a rough measurement, I can make a similar bracket locally.

Thanks.

Syed

As you can see in dennday67's photo, the return spring bracket is pretty simple to make. I'd install the choke assy. first and then make the bracket. Looks like checking your engine oil isn't as simple as it should be! :)

As you can see in dennday67's photo, the return spring bracket is pretty simple to make. I'd install the choke assy. first and then make the bracket. Looks like checking your engine oil isn't as simple as it should be! :)

The angle of the picture made it look worst, its not as bad really ;)

Anyway, I managed to make a quick make-shift bracket for temporary use, until I can get the correct one. Obviously this would not work with the choke thermostat in place...
019-1.jpg

Syed

Syed,

Beautiful engine compartment. What is the black reservoir next to the carburetor? I am guessing an oil filter housing since the large tubes snake around to the right side were the oil pump must still be. I expect a normal filter would interfere with the steering on your right-hand drive. My Mercedes 300D cars have a similar housing with drop-in filter element.

I wonder how they managed to squeeze in the steering box since that side is already crowded in our cars. Do you have the same aluminum box as U.S. cars with the standard Pitmann arm? Also, it appears you have a newer GM-style 1-wire alternator.

Syed,

Beautiful engine compartment. What is the black reservoir next to the carburetor? I am guessing an oil filter housing since the large tubes snake around to the right side were the oil pump must still be. I expect a normal filter would interfere with the steering on your right-hand drive. My Mercedes 300D cars have a similar housing with drop-in filter element.

I wonder how they managed to squeeze in the steering box since that side is already crowded in our cars. Do you have the same aluminum box as U.S. cars with the standard Pitmann arm? Also, it appears you have a newer GM-style 1-wire alternator.

Yeah thats the remote oil filter.

As for the steering box.

SteeringBox.jpg

P1010973.jpg

and heres from the bottom
P1010019.jpg

and here is the gearshift linkage coming from my "driver" side
P1010020.jpg

Syed

-
Back