Home AC System

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
My brother in law had a complete hvac system put in back in May and they have had to replace the thermostat like 6 times already. Either the screen goes totally blank or only half of the numbers show on the screen. Each new thermostat has new battles. I say it's poor quality, I wish that people would take more pride in their work and companies focused less on building it fast and cheap.

Honeywell, I'll see what brand that they installed for his system.
If he knows anything about electricity, have him check the voltage. Thermostats run on low voltage through a step down transformer. Something is wrong with the combination it seems.

If he knows anything about electricity, have him check the voltage. Thermostats run on low voltage through a step down transformer. Something is wrong with the combination it seems.
K. Thanks. I'll mention that to him

Update, talked to my brother and law and he said that the guy that installed his new system switched to a different company for the thermostats and he hasn't been happy with them. He's going back to the brand that he's used for the last 10 years, why change suppliers when you are having good service with what you were using? Guess the guy was trying to save a few bucks and wound up losing money by changing out junk thermostats

This can be HARD ON equipment. I once was called to a "no cooling" call to a building I had never been to, an independent doctor's office. I wasn't sure what I was up against because we did not install these, and I'd never been there previously. When I parked, I could see the line of about 6 split units (there were more package rooftops on the second story) so I took a quick look at them. A couple were not running, 2 were running, and a quick "feel" of the tubing came up with reasonable "feel" AKA warm liquid lines and cold sweaty suction.

The remaining one had an OVERLY WARM suction line!!! WTF??? Is this a HEAT PUMP?? A quick look through the fan nope, no reversing valve, WTF??

So I went up and talked to the office people, they had replaced the stat with some import programmable thing, probably switched with SCR instead of relays. IT HAD LOCKED THE HEAT ON and the stat was calling for cooling so it had the furnace and the AC running same time. The furnace, below the AC, was pumping heat like mad into the EVAP!!!

They may have shortened the compressor life by a few years.

This can be HARD ON equipment. I once was called to a "no cooling" call to a building I had never been to, an independent doctor's office. I wasn't sure what I was up against because we did not install these, and I'd never been there previously. When I parked, I could see the line of about 6 split units (there were more package rooftops on the second story) so I took a quick look at them. A couple were not running, 2 were running, and a quick "feel" of the tubing came up with reasonable "feel" AKA warm liquid lines and cold sweaty suction.

The remaining one had an OVERLY WARM suction line!!! WTF??? Is this a HEAT PUMP?? A quick look through the fan nope, no reversing valve, WTF??

So I went up and talked to the office people, they had replaced the stat with some import programmable thing, probably switched with SCR instead of relays. IT HAD LOCKED THE HEAT ON and the stat was calling for cooling so it had the furnace and the AC running same time. The furnace, below the AC, was pumping heat like mad into the EVAP!!!

I'm sure that it did shortened the compressor life. My own home system lost its mind a few years ago and it tried to run both the ac and the heat at the same time, thankfully it was covered by the warranty

I wasn't happy about having to go get $8900 out of my 401(especially with the penalty I'm gonna have to pay the IRS)to have my furnace and central air replaced a couple of weeks ago, but the guy used the same thermostat as was there with the old setup and it seems to be working fine ..
Those programmable ones you can adjust the conditions within your house from your phone from anywhere aren't worth it and I want no part of one like that

I wasn't happy about having to go get $8900 out of my 401(especially with the penalty I'm gonna have to pay the IRS)to have my furnace and central air replaced a couple of weeks ago, but the guy used the same thermostat as was there with the old setup and it seems to be working fine ..
Those programmable ones you can adjust the conditions within your house from your phone from anywhere aren't worth it and I want no part of one like that
Couldn't you have borrowed the money from your 401k plan? That's what I have done when I bought new vehicle. That way there's no penalties or taxes on the money you take out because it's considered a loan. Naturally you have to pay it back but it's cheaper than paying those penalties and taxes. Also there's no age requirement when the money is borrowed. I don't know if your plan has this option or not but mine did

Did you tell them: "No, no, no! This is NOT how you dehumidify a space!"

:lol:

30 years in this industry, and just when you think you've seen and heard it all....

-
Back