HOME MADE EXHAUST

-
I just used the blue painters tape and would cut strips out and tack weld, then remove and finish welding.

20200628_180059.jpg

20200628_153500.jpg

I did two systems, the first made with individual mandrel bends and pieces of straight pipes and homemade collector flanges. (Mufflers I used were $100 then, $200 now.)
The second system was made with some cheaper mufflers, and left over pipe from the first system. (This set had hooker aero's, $50 then, $100 now).
I wouldn't do them again. I'd get a pipe kit from Summit or jegs for the car application, and ad the mufflers I want.

I used a Summit 2-1/2" kit, but I'd ordered it prior to realizing how silly I'd get with my engine. When I finally got to the exhaust, I used a Summit universal 3" X-pipe kit along with the 2-1/2" exhaust kit and TTi headers. I cut and welded the X-pipe kit to bolt directly to the headers, with the X near the U-joint. I angled the inlet pipes up a little so the outlets of the X-section pointed up toward the floor a bit (ground clearance).

100_3620.JPG

I used the full length of the outlet pipes to keep it 3" as long as possible, but I had to go down to 2-1/2" to get into the mufflers. This shows how close I was able to keep the exhaust to the floor with my X-pipe trickery:

100_3624.JPG

Since the car has the springs relocated, stock-location tailpipes weren't going to fit. I wanted quiet exhaust, so I found some 2-1/2" in/out resonators and mounted those to the outside of the frame rails. I used one of these on each side as a resonator hanger:

17144.jpg

I simply folded the strap over itself and bolted it into the original hole for the shackle hanger.

100_3601.JPG

I made sure everything was aligned out back, then went back up front and started connecting things. The turndowns are just set in place here; I later welded them.

100_3597.JPG

I dragged out every high-lift stand I could find, mocked everything up, and then forgot to keep taking pictures... damn it.

100_3627.JPG

Since I failed to take pictures, I'll explain what I did next. I used some Flowmaster tapered pipe transitions band-clamped to the back of the X-pipe. I cut the Summit head pipes and fitted them to the transitions and the mufflers. Once everything seemed to be where I wanted it, I wondered how I'd get to the resonators with stock-style over-axle pipes. It turns out that the Summit pipes are cut directly over the axle and slip-fit together. I'm assuming that was to allow the tailpipes to be clocked for outboard springs, because it worked perfectly. I simply rotated them in the slip joint until the tails aligned with the resonators, cut, and slipped them into the resonators. I used band clamps here to facilitate later resonator replacement, if needed.

100_3629.JPG

It's not a great shot since the site resizes pictures, but the nearly-complete system looks like this to the oil pan (which is actually the lowest point on the car):

100_3628.JPG

Side shot shows very adequate ground clearance. The oil pan's a much larger concern, really.

0815201901-00.jpg

The mufflers are tucked up quite nicely, too.

100_3632.JPG

(Continued...)

The tips are subtle. The car is meant to be a sleeper, so no need to advertise what might be happening under the hood. The idle is mellow, if a bit choppy.

100_3635.JPG

Is it perfect? Not by a long shot. Am I pretty happy with it for the first exhaust system I've ever attempted, using crap I had lying around? Hells yes! It's quiet inside the car, and during normal driving, but barks like a rabid dog when my foot's near the steering box. When I brought the car home, my next-door neighbors (a couple in their early 70s) were outside. They'd been listening to open headered-revs for a few weeks by then, so I started it up for 'em and wound it up a few times. I shut the car off and asked 'em what they thought. They looked at each other and Suzy said, "I liked it better before."
:wtf:

Always wanting to stay good with my neighbors, I ordered a couple of cheap V-bands from eBay and welded one side of each to 3" stubs left over from the X-pipe. The other side got a piece of flat steel welded into it:

100_3638.JPG

These will get "fishmouth" cuts on the free ends and be mounted behind the X-section, right at the turns to go back to the mufflers. A couple of turns with a 1/2" wrench and it'll be wide-open exhaust...

...because having Suzy ***** about my exhaust system just won't do. :D

-
Back