Homemade Soda Blaster

-
He has plans on using it to clean parts... LOL!

Hey Karl.....
smiliebiteme.gif
deadhorse.gif
smiliebiteme.gif

No at that time you couldn't find plans anywhere . I built it with the trial and error technique .Which actually turned out pretty good only had one issue to resolve and it worked great.I could give some info if you need but I'm sure by now you must be able to buy one pretty cheap!

Nice job Bruce! Thanks for sharing, I will be riggin' one up shortly!! I wonder how the visibility would be if used in a cabinet??

I used baking soda in my Harbor Freight blast cabinet. They sell bags of it at Harbor Freight.

Visiblity is zero. You basically have to guess where the part is or wait for the dust to settle. The dust is so fine it leaks out all the cracks in the cabinet and will make a mess of your garage. Before I try it again, I'm going to weld some casters onto the bottom of my cabinet so I can roll it out in the driveway to use it. It needs to be higher anyways because my back hurts from using it too long.

But it works and does a great job. I like it for parts that are plated and you don't want to have them replated. I did some black phosphate plated bolts and it removed all the dirt and grime but left the plating in tact.

I just thought I would resurrect this thread so if anybody is interested in a low buck way to clean some parts.

I just bought this LD340 intake from member Deviledchin and it needed some cleaning. So I did re-engineer my blast gun, it seems to be a little easier to use now.

This took two small boxes of baking soda and about ten minutes to do.

Here is the re-engineered tool, lmao.

View attachment gun.jpg

Intake before

View attachment intake before.jpg

Intake before

View attachment intake before1.jpg

Intake after

View attachment intake after.jpg

Intake after

View attachment intake after1.jpg

All in all it does a great job and can be done easily with a small compressor and the tool. The first tool I had in the beginning worked just as well, but this new design is much easier.

BEWARE: If you do this, do it outside as it is very dusty and be sure to wear safety glasses and a particle mask!!

LOL, I tried to clean it, it didn't want to give up the rust, they are supposed to be red anyway aren't they, lmao.

I'll hit it with a scotchbrite. :D

Have you tried using sugar through the blaster?

Here is my attempt at soda blasting about 3 weeks ago. I plan on doing more blasting soon. Pretty straight forward and easy to do, it doesnt warp metal either

LOL, I tried to clean it, it didn't want to give up the rust, they are supposed to be red anyway aren't they, lmao.

I'll hit it with a scotchbrite. :D

LOL, depending on the year make model, yes red....or pink...or brown..LOL
Funny I like scotchbrite on mine too!:blob:

Here is my attempt at soda blasting about 3 weeks ago. I plan on doing more blasting soon. Pretty straight forward and easy to do, it doesn't warp metal either

Hmm....... I have those parts to do myself in the next few weeks. I'll try it on them.

Here is the results of blasting using a $20.00 tractor supply blaster, it took a box of soda to clean it.

zmIpLW.jpg

I as expecting something like this

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHGxF_hls30"]Awesome Slow Motion Eyecandy: Exploding Soda Cans - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back