Hood hindge

-

MOUSE

Reaction score
:banghead:OK folks , I have a 70 dart that has been sitting with the hood off for about 4 yrs outside. After sand blasting and painting the under cariage and engine compartment ( last month ), I decided to put the hood on to keep the engine compartment some what clean . the hindge holds the rear of the hood up. There was nothing wrong with it when I took the hood off . What the hell happened and can I fix this. This is a rebuild of a custom car and the removal of the fenders is not an option at this point. Thanks. MOUSE

:banghead:OK folks , I have a 70 dart that has been sitting with the hood off for about 4 yrs outside. After sand blasting and painting the under cariage and engine compartment ( last month ), I decided to put the hood on to keep the engine compartment some what clean . the hindge holds the rear of the hood up. There was nothing wrong with it when I took the hood off . What the hell happened and can I fix this. This is a rebuild of a custom car and the removal of the fenders is not an option at this point. Thanks. MOUSE

I missed the point of the question. See answer by another member below.

You just need to adjust the hood a little bit. It does slide on the bolts back and forth and up and down. Try this... loosen the front bolt of the 2 and have someone tilt the front of the hood down a little to move the position of the bolt in the slot. Then tighten the bolt and close the hood gently and check the clearance. If it still sticks up open the hood back up and loosen just the back bolt. Now lift the hood a little to move that bolt, tighten and check it again.

How is the side margins of the hood?? How bout the front to back alignment?? These are both also adjusted by the hinge bolts. Remember to work in small increments and close the hood gently each time in case the margins are off!! Check back in and good luck!! Geof

You just need to adjust the hood a little bit. It does slide on the bolts back and forth and up and down. Try this... loosen the front bolt of the 2 and have someone tilt the front of the hood down a little to move the position of the bolt in the slot. Then tighten the bolt and close the hood gently and check the clearance. If it still sticks up open the hood back up and loosen just the back bolt. Now lift the hood a little to move that bolt, tighten and check it again.

How is the side margins of the hood?? How bout the front to back alignment?? These are both also adjusted by the hinge bolts. Remember to work in small increments and close the hood gently each time in case the margins are off!! Check back in and good luck!! Geof

its like the hindge is sprung. No matter what adjustment is made the *** end is still up . Its like the hindge isn't going all the way down. its sitting up about an 1 1/2". I'll try some more adjusting . thanks for the reply.:glasses7:

-
Back