Hood pins ?? Probably an ignorant question.

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a scoop on my scamp. That means that I will be painting the hood. Today I sanded all of the underside for the prep. Now I am considering drilling for a hood pin install, just front pins. When using front pins, do you still use the interior hood release? Is it necessary functionally, or just for keeping people out?
I want to complete the paint and if I do not need the hood release, I would remove it before painting the underside of the hood. I do not have a hood pin kit yet. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks for any advice.

What year Scamp? 74-5? Yes, use the remote. Pull the pins and then pull the handle?

If I had an inside latch, I would retain it if I was adding hood pins. Likewise for an outside latch.

I would retain the factory latch and inside release.
The only time you can't use it is if you are using a fiberglass hood.

Well I guess I'm going against the grain, I have hood pins and I deleted the secondary latch. kinda figure if the hood comes up past the pins the latch won't be helping much.

Keep the latch but remove the secondary latch. Good riddance, scalp gouger!

I was going to say something about the location for the pins is a big dimple in the inner fender structure and the hole is already in the hood frame, just need to mark with a dab of grease on the installed pin and drill from the bottom BUT, Is this true for hoods after 1972? Are they made for optional pins like a 70-2?

I don't care for the hood pins with lanyards. I may go with the Ford twist style if I ever upgrade.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.47.33 PM.png

Or Quick-Latch.

Last edited:
-
Back