Hood Scoop placement help !!!

-
The engine is not in the car and the hood /scoop are at the bodyshop so i cannot get a measurement to the center of the carb with the engine mounted.
I am hoping that if i cut out the diamond shaped area of hood in the picture that has masking tape around it that the carb will

View attachment ForumRunner_20150201_202415.jpg

View attachment ForumRunner_20150201_202415.jpg

set right in.
The Victor is a bit higher than the airgap....1 1/2 " according to Edelbrock specs.

touch to tell with everything apart
normally I would run a longer aircleaner stud and see where that hits the hood
mark it and use that as the centerpoint

Does anyone have a pic of the underside of their hood with a sixpack mounted on it.
And....that is using a higher intake manifold.
Am i cutting the right spot ?

tough to tell with everything apart
normally I would run a longer aircleaner stud and see where that hits the hood
mark it and use that as the centerpoint

THIS is the only thing that is saving my *** right now. I'm in the same situation as the original poster. I'm putting a Hemi hood scoop on my flat Dart hood, but the engine is out of the car right now, and I have no idea where the carb is gonna sit. There is a small high spot on my hood where the carb stub dented it out. I was going to use that to determine where to cut my hole. The problem is, that dent was made while I was running Schumacher conversion mounts and now I'm running a stock V8 K member.

I can try to see if I can get a picture of the underside of my hood with the dent marked? That will tell you approximately where the carb should sit. The only other choice we have is to wait until the engine is installed and then cut the hole.

THIS is the only thing that is saving my *** right now. I'm in the same situation as the original poster. I'm putting a Hemi hood scoop on my flat Dart hood, but the engine is out of the car right now, and I have no idea where the carb is gonna sit. There is a small high spot on my hood where the carb stub dented it out. I was going to use that to determine where to cut my hole. The problem is, that dent was made while I was running Schumacher conversion mounts and now I'm running a stock V8 K member.

I can try to see if I can get a picture of the underside of my hood with the dent marked? That will tell you approximately where the carb should sit. The only other choice we have is to wait until the engine is installed and then cut the hole.

it won`t be centered in the hood, because of engine off sett, unless you get an offset air cleaner and center it !

it won`t be centered in the hood, because of engine off sett, unless you get an offset air cleaner and center it !

I just went out and checked. It's 34 inches back from the front lip of the hood and about a inch or two to the passenger side of center. Pretty much in the center (except for the offset) of that open brace area. At least that's where my carb stub hit as described above.

BrianT is there anyway you can take a picture of where the dimple is on the underside of the hood with a tape measure on it at a reference point ?
preferably measuring from the back ?

I would think that the shumacher mounts would put the engine in the same exact spot otherwise the trans stuff would not line up.

I think i might have to cut out the cross supports and reweld them where the red is to allow an air cleaner

Attachments

• dart hood 2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 391
Does anyone have a 69 dodge dart that has a 340 in it ????
That could maybe take some measurements like the ones in the picture to the center of the carb nut so I can transfer that info to the bottom of the hood.
This pic was something i took from online and drew on, I know..... its a 440.

Attachments

• dart engine2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 321
I can't give you an accurate measure on carb stud since my fenders are off but, here's how I cut mine.
67 Dart, 70 k frame, 360 magnum, holley 3310 on MP M1 intake.

15 3/8" hole to allow 14" air filter clearance. I traced the outer edge of a 14" rally wheel trim ring.

Carb stud center line is offset to the passenger side 2.625"
Find fore and aft center line of your hood and then move over 2.625" for first cross hair.
On the offset fore and aft line measure from the upper rear edge of the hood forward 14.3125" for the second cross hair.
You now have the carb stud center marked on the hood for a smallblock 4 barrel.
After cutting my round filter hole I centered my dual snorkel to the hood.
The internal bracing on my hound is cut on the same circle and stiffened up by 10/32 screws and nuts. The two aft screws have spacer bushings between the sheet metal, you can see one of them in the second pic.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• hood pics 001 (640x480).jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 319
  • hood pics 002 (640x480).jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 323
Don't know if this will help ya'.
Engine offset is 1-1/4" to passenger side per TTI.
http://ttiexhaust.com/Footnotes/39.htm

My 440 six pack air cleaner in my '69 Barracuda does not interfere with the closing of the hood. The front carb is approximately 2-7/8" below the hood surface.

I think I'd be a little conservative since it's easier to make small hole into a larger hole.

I am worried about the carb and air cleaner interfering with the hood when it closes.
The Edelbrock Victor single plane intake is approx 1 1/2 " taller than the rpm airgap. I have heard guys are running the rpm manifold on the 340 and are still able to close the hood.

Do you have a pic of the underneath ?

The hole in my hood is nothing more than a 10" diameter circle. Around 78 sq. inches of opening I believe. It starts 1/4" in front of the rear brace. None of the hood bracing has not been cut on (yet). Plastic tubing was slotted and lines the cut edge.
The open area of the six pack scoop is approximately 72 sq. inches.

Attachments

• 69Barr2b.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Scoop.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Hood.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 253
Chris, Here are some pics for you. Stock 318, new motor mounts, engine level, 2 barrel.

-From the back of hood support brace - 5 1/8"

-From the passenger side corner of support brace - 6 1/2"

Used a nut and rounded-head bolt with a dab of silicone. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC01859.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC01844.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC01857.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC01856.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC01852.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC01851.jpg