hood sitting to high at cowl?

-

sabre67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The hood on my 70 Dart is sitting high at the cowl both sides how do you adjust? or get at the hinge mounts? Could not find info in body manual. :(

Loosen hood mount bolts slightly, push up on front of hood. This raises the bolts in the front hole and lowers the rear bolt in it's hole, hence lowering the rear edge of the hood.. You may take a few tries to get it right.

PS, you can end up with the whole thing too low as well!

You might want to remove the rubber seal in the back of the hood before adjusting. This is especially true if its a new seal that has not settled in yet.

You may want 2 peaple . One to watch movement. Go a little at a time . If you go too low your hood will not open and bind against the cowl potentialy damaging paint or worse.

The hood on my 70 Dart is sitting high at the cowl both sides how do you adjust? or get at the hinge mounts? Could not find info in body manual. :(
My 1974 Duster is doing the same thing. Where is the rubber seal located? It the front lip of the hood? It still closes which I think is very strange....

Alec

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4136.JPG

IMG_4137.JPG

Open the hood, look at the bolts on the sides. If you just slightly loosen the left and right bolts at the far back (Red arrow)you can lift up more on hood and the hood will pivot down (Yellow Arrow) on the 2 bolts (Green Arrow)you did not loosen.If it doesn't just barely crack loose the forward bolts (Green)so it can pivot but not slide back on you.Lift on hood Then retighthen. Then slowly close the hood and see what you have. If it moved too much dont let the hood fully close lower than the cowl .(Hard to re-open and may chip paint or worse) You can loosen all the bolts but it will be hard to adjust without a couple of people. Trying this may do it and it won't change your hood to fender lines (IF) they are looking good now.
The threads on my Ragtop were stripped and the hood would slide up like yours looks now. I had to enlarge and re-tap the holes to 3/8 thread size. Luckily I have a bucket of old Chrystler bolts and found 4 similar looking bolts to use. Loose bolts in back can make the rear of your hood pop up sometimes as well.

InkedHinge_LI.jpg

-
Back