hood tach???

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
why doesnt anybody make a reproduction hood tach like the dixco ones in the 60's and 70's, i would love to put one on my duster but NOS origionals are too expensive. Mabe sombody does make them and i just dont know about it.....anybody have any information

JC Whitney used to have'em. Check them out.

yah, couldnt find em either. Lookin for the same thing. called autometer and none of theirs are waterproof. let me know if you find anything

You mean like this one?
I bought this Dixco hood tach years ago.Havent found the right car to put it on yet.These things are selling for around $300.00-$400.00 on E-bay.
The way they are going,I could be rich.:cheers:

Picture 475.jpg

Picture 476.jpg

or you could sell it to me for what you paid for it?....joking
thats exactly what im looking for, but as you said they are going for alot of $$$ on ebay and thats the only place i can find one. as cool as they are im suprised nobody makes a reproduction of them like yours

Found those in the 70's to very decorative but not very accurate or water proof. Think I paid something like $18.00 at the time.

was yours a dixco?

Yes. I use to buy them in a department store, Valley Fair I think, in their auto department. They had loads of them. Had to replace it after every winter due to condensation that would never go away. I took one once to a shop in Paterson NJ. to recalibrate and weather proof in 1972 and they laughed at me.

The condensation problem is not just limited to the Dixco tachs. I had the same problem with my Buick hood tachs on my GSX's. The problem is warm air under the hood and cold air outside.

Chuck

The condensation problem is not just limited to the Dixco tachs. I had the same problem with my Buick hood tachs on my GSX's. The problem is warm air under the hood and cold air outside.

Chuck

Regardless of the brand, I feel, it becomes a decorative lump. Once you put the hole in your hood you are stuck with it.

Regardless of the brand, I feel, it becomes a decorative lump. Once you put the hole in your hood you are stuck with it.

You are correct, Buick put them on the GSX's for the looks since Pontiac had them on the Judge, but since they came with them they were definately going to stay. The indash tachs on the regular GS's were much easier to read.

Chuck

my car is a summer driver anyway, no driving through snow with my duster so i dont think i will have to worry about the condensation, i just think they look bad ***, the problem is that ebayers think there bad *** too so they pay the price i cant afford for a tach, there is one that needs to be refinished so mabe ill try bid on that

-
Back