Hood torsion bar to hood hinge installation on 1966 Dodge Dart

-

Mayflwr

Reaction score
Hello to all. I’m restoring a 1966 Dodge Dart GT. Can anyone help me with information on installing the hood torsion springs to the hinges. I have attached a photo. Thank you for any guidance l will receive. Kirt

IMG_0659.jpeg

IMG_0659.jpeg

Do you need pictures or help with tensioning the rods so you don’t get a face full of spring?

They are actually not as strong as they look. I used an adjustable wrench (large) and wrapped the jaws in a towel as not to scratch mine after paint.

Thank you for your response. I have the hinge wired fully open as shown in the picture. Is that correct? I will use a pipe wrench wrapped as you suggested

When l bent the hinge back the barrel doesn’t go under it and l need more advice. Thank for your help as there is nothing online on how to proceed

When l bent the hinge back the barrel doesn’t go under it and l need more advice. Thank for your help as there is nothing online on how to proceed
We don't post personal information directly on the site. Your phone number has been removed from your post above. Scammers love it when you post that here. Contact him through a Personal message. Click on his name and begin a conversation.

Do you need pictures or help with tensioning the rods so you don’t get a face full of spring?

They are actually not as strong as they look. I used an adjustable wrench (large) and wrapped the jaws in a towel as not to scratch mine after paint.

Hello Syleng1. When l bent the torsion sprig back the barrel hits the hinge and won’t go under it. I need more advice on how to proceed. Should the barrel be bent back to the side of the hinge then pulled over to load it. Can one person do the install or does it require two people.

Hello Syleng1. When l bent the torsion sprig back the barrel hits the hinge and won’t go under it. I need more advice on how to proceed. Should the barrel be bent back to the side of the hinge then pulled over to load it. Can one person do the install or does it require two people.
One person can do it. I locked in the small side and used a large adjustable wrench on the part that runs along side the part that the hood bolts to. It went rather easy. I’m not with my car to take pictures.

One person can do it. I locked in the small side and used a large adjustable wrench on the part that runs along side the part that the hood bolts to. It went rather easy. I’m not with my car to take pictures.
Hello Syleng1. I tried again and had success using your advice. The barrel on the torsion bar went into the slot on the hinge. The hinge fit in the center of the barrel. I tried to pull down on the hinge with no success. It’s been 14 years since l took the hood off and it must take the weight of the hood to pull the hinge down. I restored about a dozen early vw’s one studebar and a 1958 Porsche Speedster l had for forty years. This Dart is my first Mopar. I put in a triangulated 4 link rear suspension with an Eaton 355 posi center section and Moser axles. The front suspension is a power rack and pinion IFS. The suspension is from Reilly Motor Sports. Also subframe connectors. All stainless steel hardware used in the assembly. And Wilwood 4 piston calipers and drilled and slotted 12” rotors. Painless Performance 21 circuit harness and Vintage Air AC. All the stainless and aluminum trim polished and plated. The door hinges and hood hinges along with the hood torsion springs are nickel plated.l love the 63/66 Darts. Mine came out of grandmas garage with 56000 original miles. When l stripped the paint the panels were pristine. Got lucky on the purchase. I’m new on the forum but will post some photos of the car. Thanks again for your input. Totally helped me out

Hello Syleng1. I tried again and had success using your advice. The barrel on the torsion bar went into the slot on the hinge. The hinge fit in the center of the barrel. I tried to pull down on the hinge with no success. It’s been 14 years since l took the hood off and it must take the weight of the hood to pull the hinge down. I restored about a dozen early vw’s one studebar and a 1958 Porsche Speedster l had for forty years. This Dart is my first Mopar. I put in a triangulated 4 link rear suspension with an Eaton 355 posi center section and Moser axles. The front suspension is a power rack and pinion IFS. The suspension is from Reilly Motor Sports. Also subframe connectors. All stainless steel hardware used in the assembly. And Wilwood 4 piston calipers and drilled and slotted 12” rotors. Painless Performance 21 circuit harness and Vintage Air AC. All the stainless and aluminum trim polished and plated. The door hinges and hood hinges along with the hood torsion springs are nickel plated.l love the 63/66 Darts. Mine came out of grandmas garage with 56000 original miles. When l stripped the paint the panels were pristine. Got lucky on the purchase. I’m new on the forum but will post some photos of the car. Thanks again for your input. Totally helped me out

-
Back