hooker comp headers

-

IL duster

Reaction score
Well I'm stuck on this one. I knew that installing headers was going to be a pain as I have done it before many times, but these hooker comp headers are giving me a lot more hassle. Let me give you some history. I have a 71 duster, that has a 360 in it, 727 trans, manual brakes and manual steering. I bought the hooker headers due to me also buying the mandrel bent jegs exhaust kit and they specify to use these headers. The problem is of course on the drivers side. both of the headers are in the engine compartment, that was not too much of a problem. But the drivers side header will not line up with the head at all. it appears that one of the front tubes are hitting the steering box, and one of the back tubes is rubbing the steering shaft, so much that you can feel it hit when you turn the steering wheel. What do I do? I had hedman headers before and didn't have any problems whatsoever with them, these hookers are a different story. The engine is bolted up, and so is the trans, so I can't see that I have a motor mount that is put on wrong or something, I also have solid motor mounts so there can't be any slop there either. The options that i see are to dent the heck out of the tubes that are hitting, a trial and error deal. Get TTI headers as they have a following to really fir great, or to get manifolds. I'm not really liking the denting on the tubes, as I would have to keep taking the header in and out to get it dented properly and of course the restricted flow on the header, I don't have any manifolds to use, so I would be buying them, as well as another exhaust kit to bolt up to them since my kit now is supposed to fit headers. Or buy the TTI's and just deal with the massive amount of money spent on them. Let me know if you all have any ideas on this, I have to get the car finished ASAP, as the place the car is now is going to be sold in the next month, so I have to vacate by then. Thanks for any and all help.

Dan

manualstearing usualy leaves some more space for headers are you sure the engine realy is in the correct location? thinking if the solid mounts for the engine does not put the engine in the correct location here are some measures for where it is suposed to sit http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Tech Help/EngineLocation.htm#Specs

thats all i can think of that may bee wrong
but if you are tallanted with a welder you could also buy some nice mandrel bends in the right tubethicknes and do some cuting and welding to get the headers right but it may bee alitle time consuming..

I was begining to think about something being off like that. I am going to measure those distances on Saturday, unfortunately the car is 80 miles away so just dropping by to check is difficult. The hooker headers look exactly the same as the hedmans I used to have, that is why I feel something is off here. Are the motor mounts different from left to right? If they are that might be the problem there, they look the same, but if they are different lengths that would position the engine more to one side. Thanks for the help, please keep it coming, any body that has installed these headers let me know how their fitment is. Thanks again!

Dan

Yeah, it's gotta be something fundamental like that. I have Hooker Comps in my Duster with power steer and power brakes, no prob.

I do have edelbrock alum heads, anybody think that would be causing it? just throwing anything I can think of out there. Thanks for the replies and the help thus far.

Dan

-
Back