%$#&* Hooker Headers!

Mopar Exhaust Systems

1. 71Duster

71Duster Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:08 AM
    I pulled the heads of this winter, I knew the leaked abit before but nothing to serious, bought the new fel-pro raceing header gaskets and they leak like a sive! Tightened and re-tighened the bolts but b oth sides leak bad. I didnt like the way the flanges where made on them with the raised sealing edge. Are there any gaskets I can use untill I have the cash to buy some TTI's?

2. sweatybetty

sweatybetty Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:08 AM
    try doubling up the gaskets. has worked for me

3. moper

moper FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:08 PM
    In most cases, the flanges are warped due to us overtightening, so they dont leak..I always use the Mr Gakset Ultraseals, and I use flat file to remove any high spots..Do not use any silicone on the mating surfaces, only on the threads of the bolts, and tighten for the center two out. I also will replce the supplied bolts with either allen headed, or std cap screw styles that are about 1/4 inch longer, so they dont weep coolant. if you really tighten them so they dont leak, you bend the outer flanges every time. the stage 8 locking bolts are the ticket with aluminum heads..

4. snowymountainman

snowymountainman Hair in the breeze

Local Time:
    A goos set of HP manifolds will cure all that ails you. Sounds so nice when the exhaust doesn't leak.

5. 71Duster

71Duster Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    With my cam and set up I need The heades, and the 68-69 HP manifolds are getting pricey these days. I was talking to Don@FBO today and he has hooker supercomps on his Fish Fry and sold me a set of Cometic header gaskets. Gonna see how they go.

6. superdart

superdart A little misguided...

Local Time:
    7:08 AM
    I hear the cometics are THE way to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.