Hopefully 2025 race season will be less painful

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I saw my knee surgeon today for the first time. X-rays were taken and as I knew for the last 18 plus years I need two knee replacement’s. Right knee is scheduled to get done November 13th and if the operation and therapy goes well I can get the left knee done before the 2025 race season. Gotta get pre-op tests done at the hospital the middle of October, gotta see my Cardiologist because of my heart attack in 2000 a week later, and my family physician after that. He gave me a cortisone shot in each knee that will hopefully get me through the 2024 race season.

My friend had double knee replacement just before he retired, he gained 3" in height!

I hope it goes well, everyone i know who got knees done with they hadn't put it off soo long.

You'll wonder why you didn't get it done years ago. This will add many years to your wheel time racing and overall improvement in life will be great! Best wishes to you!

I have both hips done. Hope all goes well for you. A few of my friends had knees done this year.
You will glad you did.:thumbsup:

@pittsburghracer John ping me if you want some free unsolicited advice. I have had several knee surgeries including total replacement. As most have already said my single regret was I did not do it sooner. Holler if you want some tips and tricks for rehab! I just walked Carlisle and had zero issues going way past 20,000 steps per day. Titanium for the win!

My son Jon had Knee surgery due to a accident at the track earlier this year.

He is only 34 and they told him to hold off on the knee replacement until he
could not stand the pain.

Does this make sense to you guys?

He is only 34 and they told him to

hold off on the knee replacement until he

Makes sense to me but I’ve pushed it way to far. Mostly because I’m single and have to do everything around the house by myself. I hate asking for help but already asked a buddy for a ride to the hospital the day I get it done. Cortisone every three months got me zero days to six weeks of partial relief. Leaving church after two hours yesterday was a nightmare walking to my truck. My planned trip to Walmart was even postponed. I retired in 2010 and when I looked into while I was working they said you were lucky to get 10 years out of them. Minus time if you got both done, minus time if you were overweight, minus time if you did manual work. So that was out of the question back then. I’m sure things are better now.

Good luck 2ya John. I really do wish u the best. You’re one of the guys that hold this place together. Heck ya, we look up to u! Kim

It takes a good group of guys to support and keep a great website like this growing and heading in the right direction. I’m a small part of that group and honored to be a small part of it. Thanks for the kind words. Onward and forward.

Good luck John, I hope all goes well and you are blessed with many more years of racing. My mother has had both of hers done, and at 91 years old she's still going strong.

Good luck John. A guy I work with, who is 66 just had both done in December. He is in very good shape and one of the hardest working guys in the plant. He just wanted to be able to walk normal ( he walked bow legged) and be able to run to 1st base. He said the rehab was rough for a while but was sorry he waited so long to get them done.

John - get those knees taken care of. We all need the inspiration of all of your cars that do a 2-wheel handstand leaving the line!! Dusters now just don't look quite right to me if the front end isn't 20" in the air taking off!!

Wishing you speedy recovery whenever you do go git-r-done!

Last edited:
Good luck John. A guy I work with, who is 66 just had both done in December. He is in very good shape and one of the hardest working guys in the plant. He just wanted to be able to walk normal ( he walked bow legged) and be able to run to 1st base. He said the rehab was rough for a while but was sorry he waited so long to get them done.

You could string my legs and shoot a Buck with them. Very bow legged. I’m hoping the shots kick in this week as I’m heading to the Ace Race on Thursday and then then Michael beards three day race at keystone weather permitting. Man it looks great this weekend.

IMG_1975.jpeg

IMG_0564.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

IMG_3626.png

You could string my legs and shoot a Buck with them. Very bow legged. I’m hoping the shots kick in this week as I’m heading to the Ace Race on Thursday and then then Michael beards three day race at keystone weather permitting. Man it looks great this weekend.

View attachment 1716276619

View attachment 1716276620

View attachment 1716276621

View attachment 1716276624
Heck ya! Get some money for surgery and recovery!!! My best to you, on the racing, and the surgeries!!!

He is only 34 and they told him to hold off on the knee replacement until he

When you are as young as your son they generally want you to wait as long as possible to replace them.

At his age it’s for sure he would need to replace the knee one more time in his lifetime. Maybe two other replacements.

I’m 60, almost 61 and they are wanting me to wait a couple more years to replace my hips so that we reduce the chances of needing a second or if I was younger maybe a third replacement.

Even though these surgeries are generally pretty safe, any time you violate the human body like that it’s never good.

The less times they open you up the better off you are. Just the risk of infection is enough to not want to have a replaced knee or hip more than once.

True, At 61 and 63 with my hip replacements I was told that depending on how much activity I do.
They should last 15 to 20 years. But I had no choice it was do it or a wheel chair was my option.
I sure don't want to do it again.....

Crazy two days but I got all of my appointments and tests scheduled. Procrastinating John jumped on this like a Longhorn cowboy Ribeye steak and a baked potato. Time to start hooking up for this weekends Ace Race so I can pull out early Thursday morning.

-
Back