Horsepower Limt

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Whats the horsepower limit of the stock LA/ Magnum blocks? I have read in the 500 horsepower range. Is this correct?

I've seen dyno'd 670's, but it is also the ting of how long do you want it to live? And in what conditions?

The answer is relative to how much CFM airflow you can get the engine to injest and expel....not the brute strength of the metal holding it together.

Your question is excessively vague to answer precisely.
I have seen 150hp 318's to 500hp 360's.
The differences on the engines were simple part changes, and machine work...nothing drastic.

Small Blocks actual metal strength can hold together over 1000hp no problem......actually getting that much AIR and FUEL through one is a different story. :love6:

Good Luck.

You can blow a stock one all to HELL with 150 HP.

Shoot the way I shift I could blow one up with 50 hp just sayin.

500-535 is common place these days with no issues.

I would think over 575hp and it you may run into some issues on a frequently run and run hard sb.

I have seen blocks that couldn't take 350 reliably, like I said, it depends on the block, and the internals......... Saying a small block can take 500-550HP is ridiculous..............

Casting varies from year to year, block to block, day to day.

The level of parts and prep goes up with what you want for result. SO if you want it to hold 550hp and last, you have to do a lot more. Eventually, the cost of parts and work to make a factory block live gets close to buying a new better block. Which is why for the most part guys say 500-550 is it. The blocks can take more, but if you're dropping $3K on a race prepped factory block to make 600+ (and you figure, a 600hp engine's going to cost over $10K), assuming you find one with good bores, little core shift, etc, you might as well drop the few hundred more coin on an aftermarket, bulletproof block that is going to be even stronger and has room to grow. It's all a function of cost vs benefit.

The answer is relative to how much CFM airflow you can get the engine to injest and expel....not the brute strength of the metal holding it together.

Your question is excessively vague to answer precisely.
I have seen 150hp 318's to 500hp 360's.
The differences on the engines were simple part changes, and machine work...nothing drastic.

Small Blocks actual metal strength can hold together over 1000hp no problem......actually getting that much AIR and FUEL through one is a different story. :love6:

Good Luck.

hey no problem getting that amount of air and fuel thru the engine just add boost lots of boost;)
i dont count on my old stockblock to last long when i get over 10psi.

In regards to shady blocks/blocks that don't make the cut...
Those I leave for someone else.
I choose what gets used in what with a sonic test/magnaflux/ and a real good eye f'ing

And I do very much agree with moper, once the cost hits over a g, g 1/2...go buy an R block or something that was actually designed around serious power/rpm's.

-
Back