How do I remove theses buttons/switches 65 Valiant?

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
Hello, everybody. This topic has certainly been discussed before, but unfortunately I did not find what I was looking for.
How do I remove the wiper switch button and the light switch on my 65 Valiant without destroying it? In the end I also want to take away the longish chrome emblem.
I didn't want to pull it too hard because I don't want to destroy the buttons.
The pictures are from Google.
008_8.jpg

1965-plymouth-barracuda-fastback-with-under-dash-a-c-americanlisted_31943807.jpg

I believe you pull the switch out half way then push the little spring button on the switch and that releases the knob to pull out the rest of the way then unscrew the switch.

I believe you pull the switch out half way then push the little spring button on the switch and that releases the knob to pull out the rest of the way then unscrew the switch.
Thats the headlight switch.
Wiper switch may have a very small setscrew or there is a very small tang where knob attatches to shaft. A pick to release it.
Very similar to my barracuda,but i never took mine apart.

Hello, everybody. This topic has certainly been discussed before, but unfortunately I did not find what I was looking for.
How do I remove the wiper switch button and the light switch on my 65 Valiant without destroying it? In the end I also want to take away the longish chrome emblem.
I didn't want to pull it too hard because I don't want to destroy the buttons.
The pictures are from Google.View attachment 1715437207
View attachment 1715437206
I just picked up a 65 valiant and the light switch is missing it's knob. In the picture you can't really see but the knob on this one threads on. You might try to pull it out a little and maybe hold the rod with needle nose pliers and unscrew the knob.
Normally I'm with Mouse but this is what i see on my car.
20191123_164239.jpg

OK, in the later models where the headlight switch and stem come out together... I you did ever get that knob and stem separated you would find what looks a little like threads on that triangular stem. It's not actual threads though, just barbs that bond the pot metal knob to the stem.
For this early model, I don't know. I would first look for the little release button on that switch.

Unscrew the spanner nut very carefully

upload_2019-12-13_9-45-35.jpeg

upload_2019-12-13_9-46-6.jpeg

See the button on the top side
upload_2019-12-13_9-46-29.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, in the later models where the headlight switch and stem come out together... I you did ever get that knob and stem separated you would find what looks a little like threads on that triangular stem. It's not actual threads though, just barbs that bond the pot metal knob to the stem.
For this early model, I don't know. I would first look for the little release button on that switch.
I'm in agreement with the you. I'm going to get a replacement for mine so I'll try the button also, thanks

After reading the posts it seems the methods described leave the solution unclear.
Your wiper switch should have an allen socket setscrew on the side of the knob itself. The headlight knob comes out with the stem attached after you press the button on the side of the switch body ( the rusty one on the switch in the photo above). You may have to push it in and pull it out a few times with the button depressed as they sometimes stick after 50, or so, years.

Photo of 65 Valiant knob.
wiper knob.jpg

Last edited:
The wiper switch is held on with a locking spring that just keeps it snug on the shaft .It pulls off .The headlight switch knob requires you to press the button on the body of the switch and while holding it down you pull on the knob ant it comes off with the shaft attached to the knob .to re install you just push it back in all the way

Headlight switch knob removal.

Pull headlight knob out all the way till it stops on its last detent, then push in and hold in the button on the back of the switch then pull knob out the rest of the way. The knob is permanently pressed into the shaft or bayonet.

The wiper switch should have a set screw on the shank if it's that early of a car. My 67 has a set screw. 68 up they used a spring clip.

Hope this helps
Matt

Press the button when stem is pulled to full on position. No need to press the button when inserting the stem. The stems pointed tip will guide it in.

Thank you, dear friends. I made it. The button was covered with dirt, so I could feel it only late. Have removed both

How many FABO members does it take to remove a headlight switch?

Can somebody help me out with installing the wiper switch on my 68.

I feel like I'm missing a fancy washer or clip the holds the switch itself in place.

20200626_111424.jpg

Nope. That's all the parts. Switch shank flat keyway fits against the flat spot in the switch hole to prevent the switch body from rotating when you turn the switch, then you tighten the chrome nut tight that goes on the front.

Nope. That's all the parts. Switch shank flat keyway fits against the flat spot in the switch hole to prevent the switch body from rotating when you turn the switch, then you tighten the chrome nut tight that goes on the front.

Than maybe my issue is on the dash side?

20200626_130548.jpg

20200626_130648.jpg

The instrument housing includes the hole with 2 flats that locates this switch. It should be visible though the hole in the bezel. I had a pic of 67 only and 68 up laying side by side. cant find it now. Orientation of the 2 flats at this hole is one of several differences.

Last edited:
Ok got it. I sent my instrument cluster off so that's why I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what I'm missing.

I ran into a similar issue with the heat controls trying to figure out what that attaches to.

Thanks!

Plus the metal switch body grounds to the metal gage housing, which grounds with mounting screws to the dash frame into the body and back to the battery.

Ok got it. I sent my instrument cluster off so that's why I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what I'm missing.

I ran into a similar issue with the heat controls trying to figure out what that attaches to.

Thanks!
LOL yup climate controller and headlight switch heavy enough to need metal support. Only your hazard flasher switch is supported by plastic alone.

-
Back