How do you get door latch rods back in rear door?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I took out one side of my rear door latches on my 65 Valiant 4door to free them up from sticking. I cleaned and oiled them good. It was pretty tough getting them out but I can't even get them back in at all. I tried for 1:30pm-5:30pm and could not get it back in. I tried removing the window regulator but it doesn't give you anymore room. I tried taking out the lock latch and putting the whole assembly back in at once but that wasn't going to happen. The rod is too long to put back in assembled. I know where the two rods go so I'm not mixing them up. Everything's straight too. It's just the hooked ends of the rods are so sharp there's no room to slip them into the latch arms. I guess figured out these pieces were made to stay in the car and never come out. I tried referring to the 65 Plymouth service manual but it was no help. Is there a certain order of steps I need to follow. I don't know if taking out the glass and channels would help, I didn't do it because I can't ever get glass aligned once I do that. I finally got fed up and threw everything in the car and left. I'll come back later hopefully with some new tricks. The hardest one to connect is the rod for the door lock at the top. The curved end of the hook doesn't allow for any movement with the latch inside the door. What's the trick?

I removed the rear locks on my parts car and thought I'll never remember how to get them back in. lol Jayson

It's not hard to remember where everything goes because there's only two rods. But I can't figure out the science of getting each rod hooked in and not bending anything. I tried every which way I could think of for 4 hours and nothing worked. If I ever get this on I may not even take the others off eventhough they really need to be cleaned.

-
Back