How high for bottom up engine install?

-

MOA

Reaction score
How much clearance do I need? I'd like to get it in the air as high as needed before removing the k member for front end rebuild.

I figured I might as well put it all in at the same time since engine and trans are rebuilt and ready to run.

If the info is already here, I couldn't find it.

Last edited:
Measure bottom of the K including the height of any dolly for it to sit on to the top of the motor.

Are you going to bolt the motor to the K member then put everything in from the bottom?

Pretty much what trailbeast said

US Cartool sells a lifting device that bolts to the frame rails so you can use an engine hoist to lift the car. Kinda pricey for what it is, but I made my own out of square tubing. A couple of their pictures show how high the lift is US Car Tool Uni-Lift Unibody Front End lifting tool

428EF157-F4BD-4480-A3BF-0C91D1FACEA2.jpeg

Otherwise just figure it’s going to have to be high enough to roll the engine, bolted to the K member, under the radiator support. Including whatever you have the K frame sitting on. Gonna have to be a good three feet or so.

The plan is,get it all installed, engine trans k member etc, all at the same time.

3 feet is higher than I can get it.

I'll just put it in from the top.

Thanks for the input.

Here is how I do it. Engine and trans completely assembled. All suspension is assembled t k frame as well

20160612_172023.jpg

Just a simple engine hoist with a chain bolted to front frame rails to lift car. 500 inch big block with TTI headers 2 inch primaries. Victor heads with wedge size ports. 727 trans.

Been there done that. lower the hood and it’s no higher than a pick up truck and I got the back wheels on ramps
B0B791DD-451A-4C5B-BF93-68BDE1F95783.jpeg

Yeah after going back and installing headers a couple times installing everything complete from the bottom is the way to go!

I like the lifting set up just because it put the hoist further out of the way. Was pretty easy to make too, a chop saw and a welder make pretty quick work of it.

Wow. I wouldn't think it could be lifted that way. Cool.

I'm going to get the front end out and rebuilt,then I'll see if I can come up with a safe way to get it lifted high enough to slide it all under the car.

Safe, being the key word.

Just so I'm clear, everything can be installed complete, ie headers, starter etc?

I'm going to get the front end out and rebuilt,then I'll see if I can come up with a safe way to get it lifted high enough to slide it all under the car.

Safe, being the key word.

Just so I'm clear, everything can be installed complete, ie headers, starter etc?

Yeah, that’s the big advantage. If you install everything from the bottom on the K frame most headers can be bolted to the engine. Same for the starter, basically the complete engine will go in from the bottom on the K. I’m sure there’s some exception but the TTI’s and Doug’s should be able to be installed that way.

Doug's headers going on this one.

-
Back