How is gear indicator plate removed on 1968 dart automaric column shift

-

1968 Dart 270

Reaction score
How do I removed the gear indicator piece that is on a 1968 dart automatic with column shift? Do you pull the steering wheel?

20240417_115902.jpg

Service Manuals – MyMopar The '68 manual isn't listed, but I would compare the '67 and '69 for any possible differences. But yes, you'll need to pull the steering wheel and a few other items.

Thanks. I have a manual for a 68 Valiant that also covers Belvedere and Sateliite. It should be close enough. I was asking for input from people here who have removed that part before. I doubt the manual covers replacing that part since it's not a common maintenance item.

The factory service manuals that I posted the link on goes into the full parts breakdown and procedures for that.

I was asking because I was told by another member here that there are two different styles and they mount differently. Do you know if that's true or do they all mount the same way?

From digging around on here, the ‘68 column is similar to the ‘69 but is its own animal in some areas. That one pictured looks like it would require removing the steering wheel and column shift sleeve, but you may want to use an inspection mirror and look at it from behind first. It may just require dropping the column to give yourself access to it.

From digging around on here, the ‘68 column is similar to the ‘69 but is its own animal in some areas. That one pictured looks like it would require removing the steering wheel and column shift sleeve, but you may want to use an inspection mirror and look at it from behind first. It may just require dropping the column to give yourself access to it.
The back.side just shows a black metal panel. I don't see bolts or any fasteners.

It does appear there are two Phillips screws behind the shift lever collar. One on each side.

-
Back