How long will cheap oil transfer pump survive pumping water?

-

1973dust

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone else might used one of these to pump water. I can get a 12 volt pump for $25 and need it to live for maybe 2 hours. The pump instructions all say the oil being pumped is what keeps the pump lubricated. I'm trying some backwoods engineering to run an antique tractor in a parade tomorrow. The radiator is peeing out the bottom and no luck with Barrs. I've rigged a catch bucket but would like a way to pump the water back into the radiator while on the move. I'm running straight water and the cooling system holds 11 gallons and is non-pressurized. Thanks for any thoughts. I know this sounds like an UTG episode

Can you tow a cart with aux water, occasionally pump from reservoir in cart when engine temp rises.
Fuel transfer pump should last, but might not prime, submerged marine pump better .
Try "right stuff" to plug/slow leak. .

Last edited:
So your plan is to switch the pump on and off as the catch bucket fills to a certain level, and not have the pump run constantly?
Water acts as a lubricant, though obviously much less effective than oil. The pump could very well live two hours not running constantly. I haven't seen it in years, but some water pump lube in the water could help the pump live long enough.
As Inertia said, I'd worry about it losing prime and not being able to re-prime. This might be able to be managed by carefully watching the level in the bucket, and not allowing the pickup to get uncovered. Or having some way to gravity feed the pump.
If I were you, I would buy two pumps, and test your solution with one knowing you will probably damage it severely. If it works well enough, use the second pump in the parade. If the plan doesn't work, return the unused pump at your convenience. All time permitting, of course.
Good luck!

Thanks for the thoughts. Great idea about a bilge pump. Unfortunately no one local has one in stock. Yes, I did think about just replenishing as it loses but I was concerned about introducing cold water into the system with the engine hot. I hadn't considered the pump losing prime, but yes, my intention is to switch off and on with a toggle as needed. Good idea on having a backup. I do have some Right Stuff but I can't tell exactly where the leak originates and I'm trying not to do anything irreversible on the chance that the core is repairable. New is available but $550. I guess the cool part is this is exactly the kind of rigging my grandpa would have done but he would probably farm like that for 5 years.

Folks'll get a kick out you stopping, kid or? dunking bucket into trailer tank, running up and pouring in rad.
Leave the cap off, no pressure, less coolant loss, maybe just perch an old funnel in top, pour water in rad.
Probably be a big hit,
Sounds like fun,
Good luck.
(Marine pump is submersible, won't lose prime,
Go borrow neighbors bass boat pump .)

I thought you guys might like a couple pics. It's a 1935 McCormick Deering W30.

20240209_163323.jpg

IMG_20240921_194619462.jpg

-
Back