how many run a driveshaft loop

-

71dustar

Reaction score
what are the rules for a driveshaft loop. i've read that if you run quicker than 13's and i've also read only if you run slicks. So since my car is a street/strip and i plan to hopefully be down in the 11's would i need one if i run street tires ? what about if i run slicks?

Mine's not even a race car and I have one for safety reasons. Couldn't imagine ever pole vaulting with a broken drive shaft, and I don't wanna find out. :-D

I lost a shaft once.... Boy was that quite a feeling when the back of my car jumped into the air......lol I was only 17 I hadn't even heard of a hoop at that time.

From a Hot Rod online article:

NHRA requires a DOT, SNELL or SFI helmet for any car quicker than 14.00. There are a number of different specs so you should check with your local tech inspector.

For cars that run e.t.’s between 12.00 and 13.99, all of the above requirements apply along with the addition of a driveshaft loop. A new-for-’95 rule exempts cars running 13.00 and slower when equipped with street tires. Since traction is the key to going quick, this places more strain on the driveshaft. To prevent the driveshaft from breaking at the front U-joint area and perhaps coming into the interior of the car, or digging into the track and pole-vaulting the car, NHRA mandates that a steel loop be placed just behind the front U-joint of the driveshaft. A universal driveshaft loop is available from Lakewood that bolts to the floorpan. A rollbar is required in this e.t. bracket only if the car is a convertible.

I run low low 12's and I've never been checked for one in my '06 Magnum. When I get into more serious work I'll be adding one, but for now I'm not that nervous.

im putting one in my car just because i wanna be safe, although instead of the one loop im making a custom covering that goes the length of the shaft, i think it would be a better way to do it, any thoughts on that BTW? just seems smarter to havev a full length one to me.

I got one in the Duster. The strip I go to says if you run slicks, you have
to run a loop. I busted a front joint at the starting line 2 years ago. Glad
I had it. I run drag radials. I did my burn out, no problems. Got up to the
line. Pre loaded the suspension, let the brake go and it broke right away.

Ok straight from my NHRA rule book...Driveshaft loop required on ALL cars running 13.99 or quicker using slicks...and cars running 11.49 and quicker with street tires..:-D:-D

-
Back