how many spots is your exhaust hung in?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

getting ready to fab up my 3 inch exhaust with xpipe in the next couple of weeks...the exhaust will be dumped at the rear axle...i was wondering where you guys are supporting your exhausts from besides hanging them off the rear seat belt bolts and the tailpipes...i know the ideal thing is that when you unbolt the headers the exhaust can still stay up by itself, but im not sure where else i would hang my exhaust for support (in my case only the rear seat area since no tails)...i dont want to drill into the floor either

any opinions on this or pictures too would be a great help!
Thanks!
Matthew

all cars have a factory hanger at the dump location on the drivers side...performance models got a bolt on piece for the right side...the left side is welded to the floor...the right is 2 pieces...1 piece is under the car, 1 piece is under the back seat back and is secured with 3 nuts... :)

all cars have a factory hanger at the dump location on the drivers side...performance models got a bolt on piece for the right side...the left side is welded to the floor...the right is 2 pieces...1 piece is under the car, 1 piece is under the back seat back and is secured with 3 nuts... :)

forgive my stupidity, but from what im understanding here it was only in the rear seat area it was supported then?

no...there is a spot for a tail pipe hanger on both sides...i thought u weren't gonna run tailpipes...

forgive my stupidity, but from what im understanding here it was only in the rear seat area it was supported then?

Most folks just support the exhaust system at the rear of the muffler. There are some factory brackets attached to the area where the floor sweeps up behind the rear seat. The drivers side is welded in at the factory and the hipo cars with dual exhaust got a bolt in piece on the passengers side. They are available repo on ebay. By using these brackets you wont have to utilize the seat belt bolts. I think the key to keeping your hangers and exhaust from breaking is allowing it to flex and move when the motor is running. So supporting it at the front, other than by the headers themselves, will create breakage.

Here is a link to a b-body one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/66-6..._Accessories?hash=item1c0bcb1538#ht_598wt_941

okay i get it now...stock there is tailpipe hangers and hangers under the rear seat area...so because im not running tails, ill just be running ones under the rear seat area only

turbodart, you are saying that i should support the exhaust other than the headers at the front in order to stop breakage?

he is saying to only support it by the headers and the rear hangers...

perfect! seems like i am having a massive brain fart here, i apologize...thanks for the info guys!:cheers:

fifth avenues and diplomats used a bracket that bolts to the rear of the transmission to hold the exhaust in the front, if you picked up one of these and modifyed it to fit two pipes then you wouldnt have to drill any extra holes and this type of bracket allows the exhaust to move a little

fifth avenues and diplomats used a bracket that bolts to the rear of the transmission to hold the exhaust in the front, if you picked up one of these and modifyed it to fit two pipes then you wouldnt have to drill any extra holes and this type of bracket allows the exhaust to move a little

sweet tip man! i will definatly look into that!

do you have any pictures of the modified peice?

sweet tip man! i will definatly look into that!

do you have any pictures of the modified peice?

sorry I dont have a camera at the moment, but any of the M body cars have them, if you get two it would be even easier then just modify the second one and weld it to the backside of the first, all A904's and A727's have the spot to bolt this right on

unfortunatly im running a stickshift that never even belonged in an abody (t5) but i will take a look next time im at the scrap yard to see what you are talking about...there is a possibility i may be able to make it work somehow

-
Back