how many watt stereo with 60 amp alternator?

-

jdsduster

Reaction score
wanting to upgrade sound system,but keep stock 60 amp charging system.how big can i go?amp, ect.i have a 15 year old kenwood now,any ideas?

JD,
You should not have any problems at all with 60 AMPS. Its your wiring that may give you problems. I run 90 Watts, in my 64 and have no problems with 45 AMP and stock wiring.

First thing you should look at is the firewall disconnects for wiring.

It all really depends on how much power your Kenwood amplifier draws. If it draws 1000 watts RMS then your poor alternator won't be all that happy. If it is 500 watts RMS or less then stock alternator will be ok. Upgrading factory grounds will help quite a bit as well as beefing up your cable from alternator to battery.

If your amplifier is a class A/B then that is something that can cause problems if the amp is bridged. If it is a mono amp class D then it'll be nice and efficient.

Lots of factors involved!

Just look at the fuse supplied with the stereo/amp. The draw isn't gonna be more than the supplied fuse. But Dart Vader would know.

Dart Vader,
What kind of terminals are you using on the firewall? I am building a mild retro in my 65 Valiant. Putting battery in trunk, power windows modern a/c, big radio, a lot more creature comforts.

I am looking for better bulk head connectors. as I will put the fuse box where the battery used to be.

Thanks,

60 amps= 780w at 13V. P(power in watts)=I(current)xV(voltage).

The thing to point out here is that's 60 amps at roughly 1800rpm or higher engine speed. At idle, it will be a lot lower, probably more like 20-30A. And you have to run the ignition, headlights, wipers, blower fan, etc. These alternators are just barely adequate for the stock setup.

My opinion would be to go to a 94A delco 12SI or maybe something even more modern, and of course you have to upgrade the wiring as well.

-
Back